PDA

View Full Version : Floating Head for 3020

iBeta
28-02-2016, 01:29 PM
Hi,

I've got a 3020T 3-axis cnc primarily for pcb routing. Even with autolevelling, am getting some depth variation, so wondered if it's possible to get a floating head that would fit on this type of router?

I found this, which would seem perfect, but is obviously made for a specific machine, so will probably not fit:
http://www.prototools.co.uk/shop/customer/product.php?productid=18550&cat=523&page=1
(http://www.prototools.co.uk/shop/customer/product.php?productid=18550&cat=523&page=1)
Maybe this is impossible, but thought I'd ask.

JAZZCNC
28-02-2016, 03:11 PM
Maybe this is impossible, but thought I'd ask.

The word Impossible doesn't exist on this Forum.:encouragement:

This is simple thing to make. Just linear rails with spring pushing down for tension. The depth is controlled with the adjustable height plastic depth control.

Daft as it sounds you could just remove power from your Z axis stepper so there is no holding torque. Fit strong spring to pull down on Z axis then fit plastic collar to the tool to control depth.!! . . . .Instant depth control.

Clive S
28-02-2016, 03:29 PM
The word Impossible doesn't exist on this Forum.:encouragement: Ok try digging out a hole to move it else ware :cower:

JAZZCNC
28-02-2016, 04:34 PM
Ok try digging out a hole to move it else ware :cower:

Easy.!! . . . First you Dig another hole and then Vacuum the air out of first hole and blow back into new hole. . .:encouragement:

iBeta
29-02-2016, 11:40 AM
The word Impossible doesn't exist on this Forum.:encouragement:

This is simple thing to make. Just linear rails with spring pushing down for tension. The depth is controlled with the adjustable height plastic depth control.

Daft as it sounds you could just remove power from your Z axis stepper so there is no holding torque. Fit strong spring to pull down on Z axis then fit plastic collar to the tool to control depth.!! . . . .Instant depth control.

Thanks, yes, homemade may be the only way since I've a 57mm spindle - and there doesn't seem to be any floating heads for that diameter spindle. Not sure if just removing the power from the Z motor would be enough, the spindle is still attached to the thread.

mekanik
29-02-2016, 02:49 PM
Hi
We have come across this before regarding PCB work, there was a post with a link to software to compensate, you secure your work and using a probe take readings to the face of the PCB or whatever in various positions(grid) the software uses this to plot Z axis offsets.
Regards
Mike

JAZZCNC
29-02-2016, 10:31 PM
Not sure if just removing the power from the Z motor would be enough, the spindle is still attached to the thread.

That's why you need a strong spring to pull down the Z axis. If strong spring can't pull it down then your Z axis is binding and needs looking at.!!