. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    As luck would have it, my Windows XP PC blew up. I managed to source a Windows 7 PC with a parallel port, install mach3 and transfer over my config XML and license from an old backup. Doing this seems to have transferred over the pin settings etc, but I can't get any movement out of the motors. The DRO is changing like the machine is moving when I use the arrow keys, but the motors aren't working and the spindle won't start up with the usual command either.

I'm using a Marchant Dice (I know) machine with a Tonman Superbox control box. The box's red e-stop LED won't turn off either, which is probably telling of some kind of issue, but I'm stumped after scratching my head over this for the better part of 8 hours.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Is the new PC 32 or 64bit?
    The parallel port driver won't work on 64bit.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Is the new PC 32 or 64bit?
    The parallel port driver won't work on 64bit.
    Hi m_c, yes it's 32 bit. Very strange.

The estop light on the control box does go off momentarily during PC startup, and I managed to get it to go off by pressing movement keys in a particular order while mach3 was open but I haven't managed to replicate this. The CNC did not move, however.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    It could be the parallel port is set to the wrong mode in the BIOS, but it's that long since I've had anything to do with a PP, I can't remember any of the details.
    There should be guides on the Mach site, or in the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Talha222 View Post
    As Computer operating system are 32 or 64 bit. So it would be useful for me know abut the system type firstly so that i may decide for me it is better or not.
    Hi Talha222 - yes it's 32bit

It could be the parallel port is set to the wrong mode in the BIOS, but it's that long since I've had anything to do with a PP, I can't remember any of the details.
    There should be guides on the Mach site, or in the forum.
    Thanks m_c , I'll have a mooch and report back. I'm fairly sure I've been through the BIOS and wanjangled all that, but it's best I double check and cross reference with Mach's materials

I'm having zero luck with this.

I've flicked through all the modes for the PP in the bios and tried each

The port address is definitely correct, the mach3 drivertest tool runs fine. I've gone through several threads and the fix is always something to do with the port address.

I've attached some screenshots of my stuff
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ports and pins.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	300.6 KB 
ID:	31675Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motor outputs.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	289.7 KB 
ID:	31676Click image for larger version. 

Name:	input signals.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	299.4 KB 
ID:	31677Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diagnostics.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	311.1 KB 
ID:	31678
    Last edited by Mammers; 26-01-2023 at 04:26 PM.

Did you manage to work out the wiring for the machine?

Have you got any photos of what BOB (Breakout Board) is fitted?
    My suspicion is it's possibly a chargepump config issue.
    The chargepump needs to receive a fixed frequency signal from the parallel port, otherwise it won't allow any of the outputs from the BOB to enable. It's a safety feature to avoid any 'random' movement/activations caused by uncontrolled parallel port outputs, which can happen as the PC hardware gets configured as the PC boots.

However, the fact the E-Stop light goes off during booting, may mean it's using a simple enable output.
    Some photos of the inside of the control box would be helpful.

Did you manage to work out the wiring for the machine?

Have you got any photos of what BOB (Breakout Board) is fitted?
    My suspicion is it's possibly a chargepump config issue.
    The chargepump needs to receive a fixed frequency signal from the parallel port, otherwise it won't allow any of the outputs from the BOB to enable. It's a safety feature to avoid any 'random' movement/activations caused by uncontrolled parallel port outputs, which can happen as the PC hardware gets configured as the PC boots.

However, the fact the E-Stop light goes off during booting, may mean it's using a simple enable output.
    Some photos of the inside of the control box would be helpful.
    Really appreciate your input m_c. I've attached an image I have to hand of the inside of the control box, I can get a better one when I'm in the workshop tomorrow.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20221118_202910488.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	271.7 KB 
ID:	31679

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information