. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I did make a mistake when building my machine to not account for a bigger spindle, but who doesn't make mistakes on there first build lol?

The idea of this build was just to get me going and learn from it so that when i wanted to make a bigger and better machine i would have a better understanding of machine building. However since my circumstances have now changed considerably (ie 2 kids and changing jobs) the likely-hood of me building a second machine is pretty slim.

with regards to spindles, are the air cooled ones really much worse than the water cooled? because i'm under the impression that the water cooled system requires a separate water tank and pump? which would just put the price up further.

What are you looking to cut with your machine? Have you thought of making a brushless DC spindle like in this thread? I've made one and although not used it yet Jonathan and Mark have used theirs with good effect. They are controlled with cheap servo testers and a brushless Radio Controlled ESC.
    Neil...

Build log...here

I only plan on cutting wood and maybe some plastics.

I have already read that thread from start to finish which is why my original plan was to make one of those brushless spindles, thats why i made my motor mounts to suit 52mm dia spindle body. However making a spindle now is out of the question as I no longer have access to a workshop. I really do miss the working on the tools sometimes!

Quote Originally Posted by thomashomer1986 View Post
    I only plan on cutting wood and maybe some plastics.

I have already read that thread from start to finish which is why my original plan was to make one of those brushless spindles, thats why i made my motor mounts to suit 52mm dia spindle body. However making a spindle now is out of the question as I no longer have access to a workshop. I really do miss the working on the tools sometimes!
    I have this one just hanging around gathering dust.....

Neil...

Build log...here

How much would you be willing to sell it for Neil? Because something like that would be perfect for my machine and I still have the option upgrade to a water cooled spindle later on when I have more money.

What are the sizes/specs?

Quote Originally Posted by thomashomer1986 View Post
    How much would you be willing to sell it for Neil? Because something like that would be perfect for my machine and I still have the option upgrade to a water cooled spindle later on when I have more money.

What are the sizes/specs?
    Good question on both counts....the motor specs are in the spindle thread I think, 1.7kW @ 60A max springs to mind and a max speed of approx 6500 rpm @ 24v....pm me with an offer and I'll have a think if what I want for it...
    Neil...

Build log...here

Thanks Neil I'll have a look through the thread then and let you know.

Is 6500rpm fast enough though? I thought much faster spindle speeds were needed for wood carving?

are the air cooled ones really much worse than the water cooled? because i'm under the impression that the water cooled system requires a separate water tank and pump? which would just put the price up further.
    The air cooled are very noisy not necessary worse. The water cooled only require a very small fish tank pump £3 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-Quie...uYAAOSwR5dXREE~
    and a 2 ltr Tupperware container for the water.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Thread Information