. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Is your question about whether a single 3A supply would be enough? If you are not looking for much torque from the motors, then most drivers will have a "max motor current" setting which you could wind down to, say, 1A. I'm assuming single power supply/multiple drivers here, of course. Problem is greater if you are using a switch-mode power supply as these often have a "hard" current limit at their max rating so can effectively switch off just when you need most current at peak load. Old-fashioned linear power supplies are much more forgiving of peak loads. Or wind down max motor current a bit more, or use a bigger or multiple power supplies.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Current Activity: Viewing Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,927. Received thanks 361 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Neale, my understanding is fivetide wants the 3 motors to run from a single driver..
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Neale, my understanding is fivetide wants the 3 motors to run from a single driver..
    That's true .. I would like to manually vary the speed of all three motors simultaneously. Toque maybe a factor in the future
    There are 40A versions of the Motor controllers for not much money. My understanding of power supply is limited, if I attach 3 motors that draw 2A's each onto a 40A supply will the motors only draw 2A's of the 40 or will the power supply push 13A's to each motor.. ?

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Fivetide View Post
    That's true .. I would like to manually vary the speed of all three motors simultaneously. Toque maybe a factor in the future
    There are 40A versions of the Motor controllers for not much money. My understanding of power supply is limited, if I attach 3 motors that draw 2A's each onto a 40A supply will the motors only draw 2A's of the 40 or will the power supply push 13A's to each motor.. ?
    The motors will only take what they want so IF the motor need to draw 2A each then it would be 6A total but I very much doubt they they will draw 2A each as you have said they will be operated at very low torque
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    The motors will only take what they want so IF the motor need to draw 2A each then it would be 6A total but I very much doubt they they will draw 2A each as you have said they will be operated at very low torque
    Thats what I needed to know ..thanks Clive :)

Ralph Waldo Emerson

I have the 3A with reverse switch but I order one of these below at 10A to test. I would like to link some sort of LCD RPM display onto it .. guess thats for later.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-40V-10...4AAOSwuAVWxZvG

Features:
    Control the speed of a DC motor with this controller.
    High efficiency, high torque, low heat generating.
    With reverse polarity protection, high current protection.
    Working Voltage: DC 12V - DC 40V.
    Control Power:0.01 - 400W.
    Static Current:0.02 A ( Standby ).
    PWM Duty Cycle:10% -100%.
    PWM Frequency:13 KHz.
    Material: Plastic, metal.
    Size:6cm x 7.5cm x 2.8cm
    Weight: 70g
    Last edited by Fivetide; 21-11-2016 at 05:05 PM.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

That unit is for DC motors, I thought you had steppers !
    Last edited by cropwell; 21-11-2016 at 07:29 PM.

Thread Information