. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi Nick,

Welcome to the forum don't get hung up on views and no replies...it's hard to give a meaningful reply without knowing a bit more so most people will shy away from giving advice. It's a bit like saying I've a room to paint, how much paint do I need? Have you got a cad drawing of your router we can look at? What are you aiming to cut, how long is your Z axis etc. etc. etc. The strength/thickness needed will depend a lot on your design and what you're looking to cut, give us some more to go on and we'll help you out.
    Neil...

Build log...here

End plates for a gantry? So what happens when you accelerate the head hard along the gantry or the tool plunges in to the side of something resilient? That is the moment you realise that a plate simply does not cut the mustard and you really needed to think in triangles.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    End plates for a gantry? So what happens when you accelerate the head hard along the gantry or the tool plunges in to the side of something resilient? That is the moment you realise that a plate simply does not cut the mustard and you really needed to think in triangles.
    Well, the Nema 23 will probably stall if all of the end stops fail. Chances of that happening......

What happens if I'm using a tube design with thin walls and the plate rams the thin skinned tube?

Here is the basic design.

The Y extrusion is quite big, 80x160, and the others are all 80/80 profile.

This is the rough plan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1400x800x200 v26.png 
Views:	1580 
Size:	311.2 KB 
ID:	19820
    This is where I'm up to

Name:	IMAG1747 (2).jpg 
Views:	957 
Size:	219.0 KB 
ID:	19821Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1746 (1).jpg 
Views:	718 
Size:	223.3 KB 
ID:	19822

To be used for 3d Printing, Composite 3d milling, wood, and possibly aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by dachopper View Post
    Well, the Nema 23 will probably stall if all of the end stops fail. Chances of that happening......
    Greater than you think....well if your home switch becomes loose from vibrations (fast trochoidal milling) so your gantry slams on a rapid home into the side beams.....luckily the AM882's have stall detect!!

What happens if I'm using a tube design with thin walls and the plate rams the thin skinned tube?
    Guess it'll bend it!

Here is the basic design.

The Y extrusion is quite big, 80x160, and the others are all 80/80 profile.

This is the rough plan

Name:	1400x800x200 v26.png 
Views:	1580 
Size:	311.2 KB 
ID:	19820
    This is where I'm up to

Name:	IMAG1747 (2).jpg 
Views:	957 
Size:	219.0 KB 
ID:	19821Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1746 (1).jpg 
Views:	718 
Size:	223.3 KB 
ID:	19822

To be used for 3d Printing, Composite 3d milling, wood, and possibly aluminum
    Somewhere on the forum there is a bending moment calculator which will sort this for you, however I'd say minimum of 15mm for the plates, and for the difference in cost go 20mm, and I'd strongly consider putting a plate across your two 80*80 Z axis extrusions to stiffen up the gantry.

for the Z axis I'd put thicker plates on as those don't look that thick and I'd put the rails on the front plate not back to stiffen it up. I'd also consider connecting your motors to the ballscrews via belts and pulleys rather than directly, this helps take out any resonance (from cutting) and stops it being fed back to the stepper motors.

If you're using the ballnut housing that's in picture 2 how are you going to connect it to your Y axis plates, you'll not get to the screws behind it to tighten it?
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    Greater than you think....well if your home switch becomes loose from vibrations (fast trochoidal milling) so your gantry slams on a rapid home into the side beams.....luckily the AM882's have stall detect!!

Guess it'll bend it!

Somewhere on the forum there is a bending moment calculator which will sort this for you, however I'd say minimum of 15mm for the plates, and for the difference in cost go 20mm, and I'd strongly consider putting a plate across your two 80*80 Z axis extrusions to stiffen up the gantry.

for the Z axis I'd put thicker plates on as those don't look that thick and I'd put the rails on the front plate not back to stiffen it up. I'd also consider connecting your motors to the ballscrews via belts and pulleys rather than directly, this helps take out any resonance (from cutting) and stops it being fed back to the stepper motors.

If you're using the ballnut housing that's in picture 2 how are you going to connect it to your Y axis plates, you'll not get to the screws behind it to tighten it?
    Good point - any tips?

I can do it up before installing, but that will be loaded with alignment danger

I could install a horizontal shelf over the top of it, rotate the flat face 90 so it points up, and do it up from the top instead of on the side?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	circuit-diagram-2.png 
Views:	316 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	21465  
    Last edited by dachopper; 22-04-2017 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dachopper View Post
    Good point - any tips?

I can do it up before installing, but that will be loaded with alignment danger

I could install a horizontal shelf over the top of it, rotate the flat face 90 so it points up, and do it up from the top instead of on the side?
    I did the same as you, only I'd built it hence how I know!! I bought two of these style for mine and they're great.
    Last edited by njhussey; 07-12-2016 at 02:22 PM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

44 Pounds !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wtf, is that hand cnc'd or something !

I think I will make a horizontal plate, that protrudes over the top of the housing, and just rotate it 90 degrees, bolt from above.

I have spare 13mm plate around, so job done

Ok guys - here is my final design

20mm thick

May put gussets over the ballscrew attachment, but Ill wait and see how rigid it is without

Nick

Name:	gantry22.png 
Views:	310 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	19987

Name:	New Gantry.png 
Views:	246 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	19988

So it was a busy Christmass

Went with 20mm thick

What do you think?

Name:	IMAG1810.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	216.2 KB 
ID:	20133

Take 2,

I'm still not happy about having to put all this stuff on the k2 relay, but I can't seem to figure out any other easy way.

Name:	circuit-diagram-2.png 
Views:	237 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	21419

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information