Today I picked up a Denford VMC1300 that I found in my local scrap yard.

I have no idea what state it is in but it was cheap and they would have crushed it if I hadn't bought it.

I'll be looking to getting it up and running, starting with making sure the mechanical side of things is OK.

I'm planning to search the archives to get an idea of what I'm getting into but if anyone can offer advice/info about this machine then it will be gratefully received.

I'm more used to manual machining, I run a Bridgeport Mill and Colchester Master lathe in my hobby 'engineering' shed. I mostly work on old motorbikes so a metric cnc machine is all new to me.

I have also been known to do a bit of foundry work (for some reason this has involved making more aluminium ducks than anyone should ever need).

oh and I'm also one of the founding members/directors of Cheltenham Hackspace where I cat herded the building of out rep-rap 3d printer, this is my only experience of digital machining (apart from writing a bit of G-code for a BBC micro powered CNC lathe in my ONC course nearly thirty years ago.