. .
    Today I picked up a Denford VMC1300 that I found in my local scrap yard.

I have no idea what state it is in but it was cheap and they would have crushed it if I hadn't bought it.

I'll be looking to getting it up and running, starting with making sure the mechanical side of things is OK.

I'm planning to search the archives to get an idea of what I'm getting into but if anyone can offer advice/info about this machine then it will be gratefully received.

I'm more used to manual machining, I run a Bridgeport Mill and Colchester Master lathe in my hobby 'engineering' shed. I mostly work on old motorbikes so a metric cnc machine is all new to me.

I have also been known to do a bit of foundry work (for some reason this has involved making more aluminium ducks than anyone should ever need).

oh and I'm also one of the founding members/directors of Cheltenham Hackspace where I cat herded the building of out rep-rap 3d printer, this is my only experience of digital machining (apart from writing a bit of G-code for a BBC micro powered CNC lathe in my ONC course nearly thirty years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Chas Ixion View Post
    I have also been known to do a bit of foundry work (for some reason this has involved making more aluminium ducks than anyone should ever need).
    Welcome Chas but I've got to ask.? . . . Why Aluminium Ducks.? My ducks are all Rubber or least taste like it if cooked by me. .Lol

On the machine front then we are all "Fik'ys" here so need lots pics to have chance of understanding.
    Start build thread post some pics and we'll all come either throw mud at it or Oh-ah at it.

If you're really lucky the previous owner may have given up on getting it working with existing faulty electrics and not realised the relative ease with which all the gubbins can be replaced ;-)

- Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    www.denfordata.com/bb if you've not already found the Denford forum.
    However as the VMC is still a current production machine, Denford won't release much information about it, but there are wiring diagrams in the VMC1300 section.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Welcome Chas but I've got to ask.? . . . Why Aluminium Ducks.? My ducks are all Rubber or least taste like it if cooked by me. .Lol
    I wanted to experiment with lost foam casting, Dublin Hackspace had sent us a duck (their mascot) as a present. Ebay sells polystyrene ducks, we made an aluminium duck and sent it to Dublin Hackspace.

Here is a video
    https://youtu.be/Ze323ZrEz_khttp://

On the machine front then we are all "Fik'ys" here so need lots pics to have chance of understanding.
    Start build thread post some pics and we'll all come either throw mud at it or Oh-ah at it.
    Will do once anything happens...

Thread Information