. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I'm guessing something like this http://www.zappautomation.co.uk/elec...er-supply.html

Yeah these things can snowball, one more expensive item leads to another and so on... reality is most of us are working to a budget so you need to figure out what you are willing to spend and what will be sufficient for your needs.

If budget is starting to pinch, I would also take a look at what areas it's best to put your money into initially. Might be an idea to go for the better controller (e.g. the CSMIO IP/M mentioned above) and just make do with the cheaper steppers until you feel the need to upgrade.

Ultimately of course you end up spending more by buying cheap then replacing, but reality is it gets you up and running in the mean time.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeeflyboy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeflyboy View Post
    I'm guessing something like this http://www.zappautomation.co.uk/elec...er-supply.html

Yeah these things can snowball, one more expensive item leads to another and so on... reality is most of us are working to a budget so you need to figure out what you are willing to spend and what will be sufficient for your needs.

If budget is starting to pinch, I would also take a look at what areas it's best to put your money into initially. Might be an idea to go for the better controller (e.g. the CSMIO IP/M mentioned above) and just make do with the cheaper steppers until you feel the need to upgrade.

Ultimately of course you end up spending more by buying cheap then replacing, but reality is it gets you up and running in the mean time.
    Yea, I am thinking around £1,500 max.

Probably will go for these switching power supplies at first and upgrade later to the better power.
    Would allow me to then have the nice steppers and drivers.
    But I would also be using the cheap Chinese controller.

That will probably get me started for now. If I then need to upgrade in a few months at least I have done this project and hopefully have another one where I can spend a few more quid on nicer things if they are needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeflyboy View Post
    I would really just avoid those unsupported gantries like the plague... yes they may be ok with plastics and wood but they still limit how fast you can push it and will limit you in the future as well if you look to do some harder materials. It is not an area to cut costs imo as it's extremely difficult to upgrade or improve it later without just buying a new machine (which is what I ended up doing).

What is your time scale? I'm probably building myself a new bigger CNC over the next couple of months and the barebones X6-2200L mechanics would be up for grabs once I've done the machining I need to do for you to go to town on with your own electronics. That's like your generic 6040 but with proper profile HG20 type linear rails.
    Looking at the parts on the one I listed; https://www.aliexpress.com/item/6040...999.277.umjtYe
    Isn't the Y rail supported underneath?
    I know it is not linear rails but should be better than the rods just floating?

The X axis ones are floating by the looks of it.
    Last edited by JOGARA; 18-02-2017 at 01:53 PM.

Thread Information