. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Current Activity: Viewing Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,913. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Your budget is the limit!
    However, the problem with a Triac, is you're limited on space to mount servos, unless you start doing some major rejigging of motor mounts. As part of my retrofit, I measured things to see how much room is available for upgrading at some point. X would need the motor flipped and mounted in front/behind the table other wise it'll hit the enclosure. Y would either need the motor flipped and sticking out the rear, or the ballscrew extended to give enough room. I think Z is the only one with plenty room to keep the existing mounting position.

However, ignoring fitting issues. Drive upgrade will give a noticeable speed improvement. I've got Leadshine EMs fitted, and I'm no where near pushing them to the limit. I still need to see just how fast I can push the original motors, but not got that far yet, as I'm still fixing/finishing other things.
    Modern motors would also give a boost, but I'd rather spend money on servos.

I've got Kinco servos (400 and 700W) on my lathe, and they work well. I'm running them using +/-10V using a KFlop+kanalog, and they tuned up well.
    I know DaveK fitted some cheaper Chinese servos to his Bridgeport, but the lack of separate logic power supply (means if you kill power to the drive, you lose position - better drives use a separate 24V power for logic, so the encoder works even when drive power is lost), and I know he had some issues tuning them. I am tempted to get one to try, but I've yet to find a suitable use for one.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Thread Information