. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Apart from the obvious, what's the difference between AC and DC servos?

I see a few Panasonic and Samsung servos on eBay. However, I notice that apart from the part numbers sellers don't list any specs. Is there somewhere to check specs? Both the Panasonic and Samsung sites seem to be impenetrable.

The servos come on certain series. So you have to find the manual for the series.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	servo_selection_guide.pdf 
Views:	498 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	22165

https://www.google.es/search?q=Samsu...+drive++manual
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Quote Originally Posted by Agathon View Post
    Apart from the obvious, what's the difference between AC and DC servos?
    The obvious. The AC servo when 230VAC does not need additional transformer. This is best. Then cheaper servos could be 80VAC then you need to feed them 80VAC. But of course depending on price availability sometimes is worth making that PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    The obvious. The AC servo when 230VAC does not need additional transformer. This is best. Then cheaper servos could be 80VAC then you need to feed them 80VAC. But of course depending on price availability sometimes is worth making that PSU.
    So it's not the characteristic of the motor itself but just the driver? So are all servos dc motors or are some ac?

So it's not the characteristic of the motor itself but just the driver? So are all servos dc motors or are some ac?
    Ahh, the AC does not have brushes. The DC servos with brushes are older motors with older drives that may need Voltage control +-10v, not pulse control. That could make things bad, as this type of controllers are expensive cause their only purpose is to retrofit old machines. Hence thats why i told you to search for drives that support Pulse and Direction

http://www.ebay.es/itm/CSDJ-02BX2-CS...cAAOSw0vBUl2gB

Thats what i have / the 400w/ and where i bought it from. And what i would recommend. Just check again for the details in the manual. You will not find anything better for the money.
    Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 10-07-2017 at 02:11 PM.

http://www.ebay.es/itm/CSDJ-02BX2-CS...cAAOSw0vBUl2gB

Thats what i have / the 400w/ and where i bought it from. And what i would recommend. Just check again for the details in the manual. You will not find anything better for the money.
    Just noticed that your Samsung drivers appear to be the same as the Omron that I have. Obviously all made by Yaskawa and branded to suit.
    Last edited by Agathon; 20-07-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Just noticed that your Samsung drivers appear to be the same as the Omron that I have. Obviously all made by Yaskawa and branded to suit.
    By Iskawa not, by Parker i believe. But yes...

Ahh, the AC does not have brushes. The DC servos with brushes are older motors with older drives that may need Voltage control +-10v, not pulse control. That could make things bad, as this type of controllers are expensive cause their only purpose is to retrofit old machines. Hence thats why i told you to search for drives that support Pulse and Direction
    Thanks, sorry for being so dim about this - it's begging to make sense. Also many thanks for the links.

BTW. Apart from power, is there any difference between servo motors used for positioning ie x,y,z axis motors and servos used for spindles?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information