. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Well, you live & learn ....I didn't even know these things existed! It certainly saves me dicking about trying to know up my own mounting/adapter plate!

Many thanks to all.

Quote Originally Posted by HankMcSpank View Post
    Well, you live & learn ....I didn't even know these things existed!
    I knew they existed, having used them, but not their name.

Normally, they're called "you bastard", as in "why won't you release the drill bit, you bastard?"

Just a quick thought - would slapping a low quality MT2 drill chuck into the MT3 headstock (with aforementioned morse taper) & then boring out the chuck's jaws at the diameter of the workpiece intended to be 'held', be a quick/dirty/cheap solution for rapid workpiece throughput?

What's the gotcha? Are all drill chuck jaws hardened making this a tricky task?
    Hi Hank
    I'm by no means an expert on this, but I have seen it done on other sites. I wouldnt use a drill bit though, too flexable. I ones I,ve seen use a small die grinder in a dremel mounted on the tool post. You have to place wedges between the jaws so they in compression against the scrolls. Once ground the chuck will perfectly hold material at that radius. so if you use a small 3mm grinding stone then you should be able to get the 5mm dia. your after.

I would suggest you google "regrinding lathe chuck jaws" or something similar, Unfortunaley the links I have are on my work PC,( I try to find they again if i get time)

With regard to the jaws you can get hardened and soft, dont now how to tell them apart tho. Maybe u can get new soft jaws so you dont ruin the originals.

Like I said at the begining I'm not an expert and there are people who will frown on this proceedure. If u research then u can make ur own mind up.

Let me know if u need help with the DXF. I use CAD everyday so shouldt take long, or even if you get stuck.

just seen a link in the similar treads box. Take a look at Irvings tread "truing chuck jaws" from last year. That was one of the sites I saw.

Sorry dont know how to link to other treads.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Ross77 View Post
    just seen a link in the similar treads box. Take a look at Irvings tread "truing chuck jaws" from last year. That was one of the sites I saw.

Sorry dont know how to link to other treads.
    You mean [ame="http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=474"]this [/ame]one

Thread Information