Just a quick thought - would slapping a low quality MT2 drill chuck into the MT3 headstock (with aforementioned morse taper) & then boring out the chuck's jaws at the diameter of the workpiece intended to be 'held', be a quick/dirty/cheap solution for rapid workpiece throughput?

What's the gotcha? Are all drill chuck jaws hardened making this a tricky task?
Hi Hank
I'm by no means an expert on this, but I have seen it done on other sites. I wouldnt use a drill bit though, too flexable. I ones I,ve seen use a small die grinder in a dremel mounted on the tool post. You have to place wedges between the jaws so they in compression against the scrolls. Once ground the chuck will perfectly hold material at that radius. so if you use a small 3mm grinding stone then you should be able to get the 5mm dia. your after.

I would suggest you google "regrinding lathe chuck jaws" or something similar, Unfortunaley the links I have are on my work PC,( I try to find they again if i get time)

With regard to the jaws you can get hardened and soft, dont now how to tell them apart tho. Maybe u can get new soft jaws so you dont ruin the originals.

Like I said at the begining I'm not an expert and there are people who will frown on this proceedure. If u research then u can make ur own mind up.

Let me know if u need help with the DXF. I use CAD everyday so shouldt take long, or even if you get stuck.