. .

Thread: Freecad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Any of you guys using Freecad. I have just spent some time Utubing and downloading the programme and as an ex Solidworks user I find Freecad absolutely brilliant. Solidworks it is not, but once you get used to the module based interface. It is quite amazing for free. If you need 3D design software and you have the time to get your head round it.
    You will discover a very useful tool indeed. I referance this video as a taster among the many on Utube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=882quRdDaY4

I used it quite a lot about 18 months ago and found it very powerful.
    Steep learning curve, but once i got my head round it I liked it a lot.
    Unfortunately it was quite buggy at that time and i ended up switching to fusion360.

Fusion 360 is excellent, but you have inspired me to have another look at freecad.
    Always good to have options 😊

Cheers

I use Fusion360 mostly also. Just fascinated by the development of Freecad 0.17 from the last time I looked at it 18 months or so back. I also like the thought of not having all my eggs in one basket (cloud)

I use it mainly for the purpose of making solids from Openscad. In other words, importing Thingiverse files into my solid drawings for the purpose of integrating some elements and combining them.

The procedure is : Openscad-Export SVG-open in Freecad-Export as IGES-Import and sew surfaces in NX

Discovered after a lot of fiddling and i am not aware of any similar procedure to do that.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

I use it for conversion of STL back to a usable CAD file formats, at the moment it has too many limitations for creation of complex 3D models so I use other CAD and Blender.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Can someone give the difference between Freecad and Solidworks ?

There are differences at every level.
    Solidworks is an integrated commercial product / FreeCad is a collection of bundled Open Source "Apps"
    Solidworks is very expensive / FreeCad is free
    Solidworks is professionally supported / FreeCad is supported by the user group on a forum

If you want to get into CAD/CAM Fusion 360 is a great product with free licensing to hobby users and startups.

I have used Freecad to generate toolpaths for my homebrew machine as it has an inbuilt postprocessor for LinuxCNC.It works very well for that purpose.It isn't the most intuitive piece of software,but the capabilities are impressive and the price can't be beaten.With just a little more improvement it could knock several expensive software suites into oblivion as they would offer nothing more for the considerable purchase price.

Quote Originally Posted by routerdriver View Post
    With just a little more improvement it could knock several expensive software suites into oblivion as they would offer nothing more for the considerable purchase price.
    You could say the same of LinuxCNC regarding controllers, but it doesn't, and it won't.

Development by nerd committee, when they are not competent, driven, productive machinists themselves never yields optimal results.

This is why Tormach had to spend their own money to develop LinuxCNC into a usable product for non-nerds, PathPilot.

To an extent I agree with that comment and my previous post said it needed just a bit more development.The Freecad forum is quite a good place to ask questions and there is a steady stream of developments which are often well presented on youtube and there are others on youtube which needed editing and critiquing before being posted as they say very little over rather too much time.

The comments about LinuxCNC are probably a little harsh as there is a nucleus of very well informed people developing the platform.Again,documentation is a bit indigestible and often more accessible from a good youtube video.I'm just happy that people are improving these systems and sharing them with us and would be even happier if the documentation was improved at the same rate.A benevolent technical author or editor would earn a lot of thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information