What worries me about W10 is performance. I'm not talking about general speed - when things are working normally, I see no difference from W7 - but after some recent updates, my garage PC based on a new motherboard with AMD CPU installed about a year ago has been running like a dog - a three-legged dog. Some of the system processes including desktop manager can take up to 50% of the CPU, and response is so slow that it even drops the connection to the CSMIO motion controller from time to time. Last night I was giving a talk and demo of my 3D printer to a local society and the printer started running very slowly as well. Looked like the laptop was not sending gcode fast enough to the printer every so often. I couldn't chase the issue as I was busy talking, but that was a combination of laptop and printer that's been working without a single issue for a few years now, including W10 for a year or so. The only change was W10 updates, as far as I know. Both machines have installed the latest Creator Update, which looks as if it might be part of the problem. I have a few other W10 PCs which seem to be working fine but aren't doing anything "real time" in the same way.

Don't know is anyone else is seeing W10 problems but i'm starting to get a bit twitchy about it. Done a fair bit of googling around this issue and although there are generic performance complaints, I haven't found a fix for my problem yet. Bit of an issue as my router is built around the CSMIO so Linux is not an option. Upgrade to W7? Is Microsoft on a "Well, our compulsory updates might make your hardware obsolete" strategy?