. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 31-03-2024 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by the great waldo View Post
    Hi Wal

This might save you a few bob http://www.rutlands.co.uk/pp+woodwor...filters+d01110 but Mekanik is right about catching the dust at scource. By the way nice work on the inlays. Do the cutters last long as the pearl is fairly abrasive.

Cheers

Andrew
    Cheers for that link Andrew, yeah - a fair whack cheaper that..! It specifies being mounted at a height of 2m or greater. I'm in a vaulted cellar, so perhaps one of these filters isn't the best option for me. Not having given it a great deal of thought, I was hoping to pop it under an existing bench... but having my boiler etc. located down there, means that my cellar's pretty warm - a fairly constant 20℃ - I imagine the particles would be happy floating around on the warm air where that kind of filter would be most efficient in picking them off. At leg height it's probably doing its bare minimum...

I think that even a vacuum cleaner picking 'em off at source might struggle to contain these particles without a very decent filtration system - the cutters pulverize the stone and pretty much turn it into super fine talcum powder...

As pearl work is always small scale, I wonder if it's worth me making myself a little water tray fixture that traps the particles as they're cut..? Hmm... I wonder...

Wal.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

2. Hi Wal

I would imagine wetting the pearl would keep the dust down and possibly increase the life of the cutters. I've been making guitars for 40 years and in the old days I used to grind abalone shells dry with a grizzly disk on a black and decker drill, Mixed up with a nice dose of nitro cellulose i'll be glad if I make my pension. Luckily I don't smoke LOL I don~t think it matters much where you put the filter but higher up would capture more airborne dust or put the filter by the where your'e cutting maybe with a small computer fan blowing towards the filter or just get one of those cheapo 4 inch kitchen ventilators with the flexi hose that comes with it and run it outside. I use uhu blue epoxy for pearl mixed with a little polyester colouring paste and some fine ebony or whatever wood you are using dust (the dust (not too fine) stops any filler becoming to shiny if the fingerboard is polished)

Cheers

Andrew
    Last edited by the great waldo; 08-12-2017 at 07:35 PM.

Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 31-03-2024 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    >in the old days I used to grind abalone shells dry with a grizzly disk on a black and decker drill, Mixed up with a nice dose of nitro cellulose i'll be glad if I make my pension.

Oh gawd... Yeah, I fear that spores borne on a mist of WD40 have done me no favours whatsoever since moving down into the cellar to keep the machine company... What's the old adage - 'find what you love and then let it kill you...' Doubt it was meant literally, though..!

Would love to see some of your guitar work - do you have a site?

Thanks for the tip on installing the inlay - I've yet to try one personally, the work I do gets passed back to the client who runs a guitar/bass building course up here in Manchester and he goes through the process with his students. It's usually a nice tight fit - here are a couple I did a while back:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_o98n84oPzM1r7uds7o2_1280.jpg 
Views:	441 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	23374 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_o98n84oPzM1r7uds7o1_1280.jpg 
Views:	448 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	23375

Wal.

Superb stuff Wal - that's line I'm heading towards for my guitar logo's etc. I'll be picking your brains on this topic I'm sure as my design/build gets off the ground.

Francis
    https://milsomguitars.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by fwm891 View Post
    Superb stuff Wal - that's line I'm heading towards for my guitar logo's etc. I'll be picking your brains on this topic I'm sure as my design/build gets off the ground.

Francis
    https://milsomguitars.weebly.com/
    Hi Francis,

I'll try to drop you a line this evening - just working on a project this weekend and it's all consuming..!

Had a quick look at your site - my word, you build some beautiful guitars..!

Wal.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wal For This Useful Post:

Thread Information