. .
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    TIP: Cut Air for the first few jobs until confident machine and Cam do as expected.!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
    The wife is happy! The CNC has produced something for her glass!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200229_220727.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	241.2 KB 
ID:	27465

Psstt... don't tell her that it would have probably been quicker on the table saw.....

Anyhow, very valuable day of learning. First cut was a V carve little sign. Very simple CAD and CAM in Vectric. Second cut was trying to get more serious making the above model, mostly to test the pathway through fusion. Unfortunately I didn't home the machine first, and the bastard had G28s hidden throughout... goodbye 4mm endmill and a few VFD fuses!! The item you see above is my 3rd ever cut with a little sanding. This is going to be a steep learning curve.....
    Nice one Andy - good to see actual cutting and know it's possible to get there in the end! Although if its a steep learning curve for you it'll be a mountain for me:)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CNCRY For This Useful Post:

Awesome work, I am glad to see you have finished with your machine.
    Enjoy your cnc mate!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nickhofen For This Useful Post:

Interested how your machine is going Andy ? Managed to make anything in metal/ aluminium ? Photos :)

Machines going really well thanks - Haven't had an awful lot of time to dedicate to it recently (healthcare worker...) but having some fun when I do get the odd minute.

First thing was to add the temporary MDF bed, attach, level and surface it, along with tramming the spindle. Wish my spindle mount was a bit more conductive to that process, but hey ho, it works.

I've fitted my coolant mister with enhancements (thanks to Voicecoil) but haven't gotten around to any metals yet. All wood so far, got myself some birch ply for a project and have used it for a couple of other things too. I've got some composites on order which I'm looking forward to trying out too.

First thing was to make a quick and temporary control box - the random DIN rail with buttons hanging off was getting a little haphazard. Found an online CAD generator for the tabbed box of whatever size. I had to manually sharpen up those corners though, so it all got a bit rough! I tried using a compression bit, but hadn't got the first pass deep enough, hence the furry edges.

Name:	ctrl.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	179.3 KB 
ID:	27824 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	box.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	159.8 KB 
ID:	27825

Then I gained a new nephew - so clearly this needed more glass work and a frame. First try of 2-sided machining to create a pocket on the back for the glass plate to sit into.

Name:	frame.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	213.3 KB 
ID:	27826

I'm currently working on a project that I'll probably make a thread about once I'm happy with it... but here is a sneak peak:

Name:	project.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	158.3 KB 
ID:	27827

Any guesses?

That's my kind of control box!
    There are loads of designs for wooden joints that are designed not to have sharp corners so you can cut then on a CNC machine. Some nice examples at the link below. I've used the first, simple finger tenon design for some boxes.

I suspect you're building something inspired by David C Roy.

http://mkmra2.blogspot.com/2014/08/c...d-joinery.html
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kitwn For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kitwn View Post
    That's my kind of control box!
    There are loads of designs for wooden joints that are designed not to have sharp corners so you can cut then on a CNC machine. Some nice examples at the link below. I've used the first, simple finger tenon design for some boxes.

I suspect you're building something inspired by David C Roy.
    Thanks Kitwn, really helpful link! :)

Yep - got it in one, I suspected anyone into their wooden clocks would know.

Good to see you are getting some time at least and some real life creations Andy! I think I need to use mine for every birthday/xmas present for the next 10 years to recoup the cost:)
    What method did you use to tram the spindle?
    Interested in the coolant mister too for the future - don't think I saw that in your build log?
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by CNCRY View Post
    Good to see you are getting some time at least and some real life creations Andy! I think I need to use mine for every birthday/xmas present for the next 10 years to recoup the cost:)
    What method did you use to tram the spindle?
    Interested in the coolant mister too for the future - don't think I saw that in your build log?
    Ryan
    Haha - yeah. I've already gotten a couple of those ticked off...!

The mister is a £5 jobbie off ebay - nothing special to it, just the generic Chinese one you'll find. Voicecoil has made me a new nozzle for it to open up the flow - he discussed the modification in one of his threads; I'll post a picture when I next use it.

Spindle tramming - I used a dial gauge in the spindle, rotating it around on a surface place that is already setup to be planar to the Y and X axis. I have a tramming gauge which I would have preferred to use, but its with the mill locked down a few hundred miles up north.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitwn View Post
    I love some of the designs on that site, especially the ones that use the wood as a spring to snap pieces together. They do test the accuracy of your machine though, I copied one idea which made a joint that had the pieces fit rather like the pieces of a jigsaw. Except they didn't. That was the inspiration for the latest round of upgrades which I'm hoping will significantly improve the accuracy of my machine. The Z axis is now made of aluminium instead of plywood so I'm cautiously optimistic!

I consider wooden clocks to be a form of 'kinetic sculpture' just like Mr Roy's creations. Problem is I (unlike everyone else it seems) insist that a clock, any clock, should tell the right time. Hence my current (stalled for want of a working router) project for a GPS-locked wooden pendulum clock.
    Haha - I set the router up for a 16mm diameter hole, along with a series of already prepared GCode files for +/- 0.1mm offsets to try and fit the first bearing in. I can't tell you how happy I was when the 0 offset file measured 16.00 on the digital calipers, and the bearing was a tight push fit first time. Bliss.

I suspect I'll end up trying to make a few of his designs... they're definitely in the amazing artwork category. GPS locking them however - that's another level!

Couple more projects - My Brother wanted a 'Plumshed' sign (don't ask - long story), so I did a V Carve with some google fonts. Really love how much the black paint adds.

Name:	plumshed.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	27890

Also spent some time trying to improve my 3D CAD skills - mocked up a Sopwith Camel prop, and tried a 3D carve. The router did an amazing job (its about 600mm wide) - I really love how smooth and flowing the contour is after a single finishing pass with a 6mm ballnose. The only issue I had was that I messed up the CAM and only got half the model (oops). Before this cut I was slightly worried about if my Z axis was okay - one of the earlier 3D carves had some suspected lost steps - but it handled this one perfectly. Cooling is definitely a need-to-fix item on my agenda though - that little pump just can't cope with the length of cooling loop I've got, and after about an hour the lower section of the spindle was hot (still comfortable to touch, but I'm guessing it shouldn't build up heat if the cooling is working well).

Name:	Prop.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	158.2 KB 
ID:	27891

Quote Originally Posted by AndyUK View Post
    Thanks Kitwn, really helpful link! :)

Yep - got it in one, I suspected anyone into their wooden clocks would know.
    I love some of the designs on that site, especially the ones that use the wood as a spring to snap pieces together. They do test the accuracy of your machine though, I copied one idea which made a joint that had the pieces fit rather like the pieces of a jigsaw. Except they didn't. That was the inspiration for the latest round of upgrades which I'm hoping will significantly improve the accuracy of my machine. The Z axis is now made of aluminium instead of plywood so I'm cautiously optimistic!

I consider wooden clocks to be a form of 'kinetic sculpture' just like Mr Roy's creations. Problem is I (unlike everyone else it seems) insist that a clock, any clock, should tell the right time. Hence my current (stalled for want of a working router) project for a GPS-locked wooden pendulum clock.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information