. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Looks awesome!

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

Lives in Sheffield, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16-02-2019 Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 50. Received thanks 4 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Thanks madman. For my first attempt at doing anything like this, I'm quite pleased at how its turned out. And more than pleased that I haven't burnt my shed down... yet :)

Had a lot of "fun" re-wiring all the limits on my 6040 yesterday. Wired the pump and probe, too. They are all working with the controller.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0137.JPG 
Views:	363 
Size:	344.2 KB 
ID:	24059

Apart from tidying a few things up, I'm pretty much done. Just the spindle to wire. Was going to buy a new VFD, but to save me 80 quid I've decided to use the Nowforever VFD from the old control box.

On the underside the VFD has terminals for R S E U V W.

Name:	DSC_0143.JPG 
Views:	372 
Size:	164.2 KB 
ID:	24062

I've traced the wires back and the R and S power inputs go back to, what looks like, an EMI filter. The filter looks like it goes back to the 240v AC mains power. I'm guessing I should re-use that filter, but I'm also not sure that I must use it (I've seen people use VFDs without one).

I take it that R=live, S = Neutral. Guessing that E = Earth - although it wasn't wired in my old box (Also found my spindle wasn't earthed to pin 4.)
    I take it that U = pin 1 on the spindle, V = pin 2, and W = pin 3.

Spindle control on the Nowforever uses the terminals behind the hatch:

Name:	DSC_0144.JPG 
Views:	633 
Size:	193.7 KB 
ID:	24061

I believe the wiring from the DDCS is as follows:

M3/M5 on DDCS goes to X1 on the Nowforever
    Ground on DDCS goes to Com
    VSO on DDCS goes to Ain1 (10v)

Any help/advice or corrections with the above, appreciated.
    Last edited by Rye; 14-04-2018 at 12:57 PM.

I take it that R=live, S = Neutral. Guessing that E = Earth - although it wasn't wired in my old box (Also found my spindle wasn't earthed to pin 4.)
    I take it that U = pin 1 on the spindle, V = pin 2, and W = pin 3.
    If you are using cy 4 core cable connect the green/yellow wire to the spindle earth. quite often the pin 4 is not connected to anywhere inside the spindle so check it with a meter to see if it is connect to the case.

re the U,V,W The spindle is 3 phase so they can be connected in any order BUT if you find the spindle in running backwards when forward is commanded then just swap any two of the U,V,W wires and it will run the opposite way.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Lives in Sheffield, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16-02-2019 Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 50. Received thanks 4 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Cheers Clive. I've wired the VFD to the mains and it all works. Just need to wire the other cable from the DDCS so I can control the spindle speed from the controller.

Checked pin 4 on the spindle and it's not earthed to its case. The original cable, that I'm still using, is un-shielded 3 core. So this has got me a little worried. That said I've used the machine for the last two years and it hasn't caused any issues.

Was thinking that with the spindle not being earthed, should I just earth the CNC frame to the AC mains earth (the spindle is attached to the aluminium frame of the CNC, so it should be conductive.) What would you, or anyone else, recommend I do?
    Last edited by Rye; 14-04-2018 at 05:17 PM.

The frame should be earthed anyway even if the spindle isn't. To be honest the spindle not being earthed isn't often a big issue provided the frame is earthed. Just make sure the cable to the spindle is shielded and the shield goes to earth.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 14-04-2018 at 06:35 PM.

Thanks for the info Jazz. Started re-wiring the spindle cable. Will earth the frame to the mains tomoz.
    Bought a Chinese 6040...if only I'd known better :(

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information