. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Many thanks again, most of the basics ordered now, steppers, drivers and 24v psu.
    Will look a bit more into Bob's.... Yes ub1 does look the bees knees but will take more kidneys than I can afford to sell! Lol
    I'll have a look at some others that have opto isolation:)

So with the ball screw it needs space for the mounts top and bottom- so doesn't work with the Vee bearing rails :(
    I went for SBR16 - supported rail bearings- would have liked square profile but the cost was too much.
    This is the state of the Z axis at the moment -getting there :) waiting on the long bearings for the rails- will be going for MDF front plate at the minute and changing to aluminium later I hope :)
    The clearance on the X axis bolts is tight but clear is clear :)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180427_170454.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	325.2 KB 
ID:	24145

I will have to manually adjust the Vee bearings on the X but hopefully that's not too much of a pain(instead of cam adjusters).
    I hope this is an upgrade to the Z and not a downgrade!!
    The bottom of the X has approx. 7" clearance from the bed after I add a whole base board and then a spoil board on top- gives me a usable Z height of 7"!! providing it doesn't have too much play.
    Steppers, drivers , psu's etc all ordered- gone with a UC300eth - 5lpt for the control box
    Water cooled spindle has arrived ,wow its got some weight to it!

Ok so it's time to start looking at the control box- I have a large 700mmx500mmx 200 steel enclosure which I will have to wall mount as it wont fit under the router base!
    How does someone with absolutely no knowledge of electrics design or layout the insides!??
    I've had a search on the forum and to be honest it looks a tad daunting(this is the bit I wasn't looking forward to!)
    A basic wiring diagram I can just about follow but throw in relays or anything else then I'm lost :(

Hi Graham
    Think there is a diagram in one of the build threads, Dean/Jazz posted it a while back. as he is watching you he will probably be able to help.
    Regards
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWhite View Post
    How does someone with absolutely no knowledge of electrics design or layout the insides!??
    Ok simple rule of thumb with layout is to keep mains voltage items/cables far away from Signal wires much as possible. Obviously at some points they will have to meet but reducing how close the wires and components come together will lower chances of electrical noise interference.

Regards the wiring design then just keep it simple don't go too crazy with the safety side. Many folks go way OTT with safety buying expensive Safety Relays when all that is needed is simple Relay driven latching E-stop circuit.
    Ideally, you want to use 24Vdc for the Safety circuit and limit switches,relays etc as this gives greater immunity from noise interference. Can use 12V but 24V is best, avoid using 5V if possible.

Also, for new builder it's a good idea to build control in stages rather than wiring every thing at once only to find out something wrong at switch on and then struggle to diagnose where gone wrong.

If you give detailed list of all the stuff you have I don't mind drawing you up diagram.

That would be great cheers :)
    So far I have..
    4 drivers https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/st...or-dm860t.html
    Breakout board https://www.omc-stepperonline.com/st...kit-st-v2.html
    UC300 eth - 5lpt http://cncdrive.com/UC300.html
    24v PSU
    5v PSU
    toroidal psu with no bridge rectifier or caps as driver accept AC
    stop/start button (1no 1nc) NVR
    emergency stop button
    2.2kw water cooled spindle with VFD
    water pump for spindle
    big enclosure

Still to buy - control cable?
    limit/home switches- do you have them at each end or just for home position?

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWhite View Post
    limit/home switches- do you have them at each end or just for home position?
    My preference is to combine the Home-limit switches and have the switch travel with the axis sensing/hitting fixed targets at each end. This way fewer switches to go wrong and less wires running around machine.

Will you be using Micro switch type or proximity.? My pref is proximity NPN type.

just had a look and the proximity NPN type are cheap enough and I like the idea of less switches=less cost! lol

Thread Information