. .
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Ok. Thank you. And yes, the 5v usb cable is run from the pc. I have a phone charger available as well. It reads 4.74v at pc5v and pcgnd.
    Does it matter?

phone chargers are not regulated very well
    so you will be better off either using the PC's USB port or using a regulated 5V power supply to power the 5V side of the breakout board

John

Quote Originally Posted by john swift View Post

PS

a simple input tester I used to test a similar BOB without using a PC (or motion controller)

Attachment 24652

I made Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1989.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	313.5 KB 
ID:	24654a pass-thru tester years ago when I was trying to work out what was happening with a printer/plotter I had. Exactly the same as that but with lower value resistors but each LED was powered by the printer or PC.

Quote Originally Posted by john swift View Post
    phone chargers are not regulated very well
    so you will be better off either using the PC's USB port or using a regulated 5V power supply to power the 5V side of the breakout board

John
    I use exactly that BoB with a 12/5v dual power supply from a defunct external hard drive. It works fine !

Quote Originally Posted by Radu_Andrei View Post
    It has the 12 v input, a light is on on the bob at the end of the input pins. It makes a subtle high pitch noise when I connect any of the input pins to the ground pin, but it does not register it in mach 3.
    All grounds are together, but now I.m testing it with a single wire.
    Pc gnd is not connected to anything.
    The only difference with this bob is that it has a P14, to which all I ran all ENBL- from the drivers.
    What voltage do you have between an input pin and ground with out any switch connected?
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Hi.
    Sorry for the late reply, the internet was out for a while.
    Nice tester. It seems you guys are doing this electronics thing for quite some time. That.s why you.re all so smart. I suspected at first, that you.ve made a pact or something, like Faust, that you knew the answer to every problem I came up with. :P

Regarding the question, if I remeber right, as I measured a lot of connections today, I don.t think it was any voltage between the input pins and ground, but I might be wrong. I.ll check tomorrow, if it helps.
    It seems ok so far how the project is going. I just finished a few hours ago to install the touch plate, added some script in mach 3, and it seems to work ok but a bit slow. I.ll change some numbers in there and should be fine.

Next week I.ll set the soft limits, reconnect the x and y motors to the ballscrews, and run some tests. I don.t know, what test I need to check if I get steps missed, but at least I have a plan. :)
    Then add a flat wood surface and make it straight, mill it I guess, then add a sacrifice board on top of it, then learn some cam software, and also buy some ebay projects with sculptures and stuff, to have a go at cutting.

I don.t know if all this ideas are good either, but thanks to you guys, I kinda feel confident it will all work just fine.
    There.s still quite some work to do, and I.m aware I.ll keep bothering you for some time, but still... A BIG THANK YOU to you all. :)
    You mean a lot for people without technical backgrounds. A couple decades ago, people were struggling to find info like this, and most of the time they could not.
    I have more gratitude to express, but I.m starting to sound creepy, so I.ll shut up.

Regarding the question, if I remember right, as I measured a lot of connections today, I don.t think it was any voltage between the input pins and ground, but I might be wrong. I.ll check tomorrow, if it helps.
    If you have connected 12-24 v to the centre two terminal on the bob you should have about 7-12v on the input pins.

if you have not got any volts on the inputs pins then you might have burnt the pcb track out on the board. I have seen this in the past.

So just get one thing at a time working. Those bobs although cheap I find to be quite good.
    ..Clive

Hi.
    I just measured it, with and without the limits connected, and I get 0v between GND and all pins except P13, at this one I get 26v. P13 happens to be the probe, but I disconected the cable, and same reading.
    I don.t know how I could have burned anything, as I just run the usb cable from the pc, and the 12v supply.

Yet the limits, estop and probe work fine. No more false signals. :)

P.S. although the vfd is not connected just yet, on the bob I get 2 light on all the time, the 5v and 12-24v leds, and sometimes the relay led. It does not stay lit all the time. I don.t know if that.s bad or not, I just thought I should mention it.

Yet the limits, estop and probe work fine. No more false signals. :)
    Does this mean that all is working OK?

I am not sure why you have 26v on P13 !!
    ..Clive

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread Information