. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The area to flatten is 900 x 400mm and my surface plate is 600x600.

Yeah I talked myself out of it a few times. I'm not sure its going to be very economical, the BT30 spindle itself is a substantial cost.

Chaz, I found your concrete build very interesting and I've thought about a moglice/DWH approach. I'm lacking a big enough reference surface though, any ideas on how I could overcome this?

I'm starting to wonder if I will have to leave the base as it is. If I could be confident in the way I was measuring it and I was sure it was flat to say 0.02-0.05mm I would probably be happy and just shim/scrape it later. Does anyone a good way to measure how flat a surface is that's bigger than your reference surface?
    I bought a hollowed out 'reference' block from someone. Its around 900 x 600 x 600 and might be good enough for what you need. It has slots in it and few holes / marks but its what I used to lay my Y rails, then later X and Z from that.

Where are you based? Might be worth a chat, PM your number if you think its worth discussion via phone.

Was just trawling through some older "subscriptions" and think this might be your "reference box" Chaz :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31865142671_7c13ac8ba9_b.jpg 
Views:	1444 
Size:	249.5 KB 
ID:	24649

From http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10480...growing-nicely
    Last edited by AndyGuid; 11-08-2018 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyGuid View Post
    Was just trawling through some older "subscriptions" and think this might be your "reference box" Chaz :

Name:	31865142671_7c13ac8ba9_b.jpg 
Views:	1444 
Size:	249.5 KB 
ID:	24649

From http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10480...growing-nicely
    Yep.

Lives in East Yorkshire, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 06-01-2021 Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 26. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Chaz, that might work, how much does it weigh? I am based in Yorkshire, where about are you based?

Just changed jobs, making very slow progress on the build at the moment.

Chaz, that might work, how much does it weigh? I am based in Yorkshire, where about are you based?

Just changed jobs, making very slow progress on the build at the moment.
    Hi, its fairly heavy (estimated 300-400kg). Pity you arent closer, I'm in Uxbridge / Ickenham, West London, Near the M40 / M25.

Sure, happy to help if I can.

Lives in East Yorkshire, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 06-01-2021 Has been a member for 6-7 years. Has a total post count of 26. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    This is a bit delayed but I owe a big thanks to Chaz who has let me borrow his reference surface. It has been really helpful and I am not sure how I would of progressed without it. I tried to pick it up in a Fiesta, which unsurprisingly didn't work, thankfully it came on a pallet.

I've been making slow progress, I settled for an angle grinder for the cutting of the cast iron blocks, it took forever... I have managed to rough scrape all the surfaces for the column.

Name:	20180825_173005 (2).jpg 
Views:	809 
Size:	680.4 KB 
ID:	24898

These blocks of cast iron are the ones highlighted below.

Name:	Highlighted.PNG 
Views:	635 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	24900

I have also scraped the main cast iron block.

Name:	20180826_163337.jpg 
Views:	667 
Size:	464.4 KB 
ID:	24899

They're not perfect but within 0.03 mm. I am making the mold and getting the inserts ready, I plan to cast the column next week. Just trying to work out how to drill 18mm holes through the 2 inch cast iron blocks, my drill press isn't up to it and I really don't want to have to buy a mag drill, I don't know if anyone has any other ideas?

Nick

This is a bit delayed but I owe a big thanks to Chaz who has let me borrow his reference surface. It has been really helpful and I am not sure how I would of progressed without it. I tried to pick it up in a Fiesta, which unsurprisingly didn't work, thankfully it came on a pallet.

I've been making slow progress, I settled for an angle grinder for the cutting of the cast iron blocks, it took forever... I have managed to rough scrape all the surfaces for the column.

Name:	20180825_173005 (2).jpg 
Views:	809 
Size:	680.4 KB 
ID:	24898

These blocks of cast iron are the ones highlighted below.

Name:	Highlighted.PNG 
Views:	635 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	24900

I have also scraped the main cast iron block.

Name:	20180826_163337.jpg 
Views:	667 
Size:	464.4 KB 
ID:	24899

They're not perfect but within 0.03 mm. I am making the mold and getting the inserts ready, I plan to cast the column next week. Just trying to work out how to drill 18mm holes through the 2 inch cast iron blocks, my drill press isn't up to it and I really don't want to have to buy a mag drill, I don't know if anyone has any other ideas?

Nick
    Scrape Scrape Scrape ....

I was going to ask how you were getting on.

Thread Information