. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Just get a cheap and cheerful Hyangyung one on Ebay. £100 ish and sorted. There is a guy on ebay, near me, selling good quality encoders for circa £45.
    Cheers - those VFDs look like great value. Do you have a link for the guy selling encoders? The minimum recommended spec is 8000p/r (seems excessive?) and even the 2000p/r ones I've found are in the hundreds of quid.
    Last edited by AdrianW; 26-09-2018 at 11:09 PM. Reason: No text in previous post!

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Current Activity: Viewing Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,927. Received thanks 361 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianW View Post
    Cheers - those VFDs look like great value. Do you have a link for the guy selling encoders? The minimum recommended spec is 8000p/r (seems excessive?) and even the 2000p/r ones I've found are in the hundreds of quid.
    What's currently fitted to drive the spindle?
    Any VFD should be useable with. Only issue would be if the spindle has a DC motor, and a basic non-isolated KBIC style speed controller.

Encoder wise, you need to differentiate between counts/edges per revolution, and pulses/lines per revolution. The 8000 spec will mean counts per revolution, which translates to a 2000 ppr/lines per revolution.
    What you're looking for is an "incremental rotary encoder" with a minimum of 2000 ppr/lines, however I'm not sure if the Acorn requires single ended, or differential output (a differential output encoder can be used to drive single ended inputs, but a single ended output encoder would need a differential driver to drive differential inputs). They can be had on eBay for under £40, although you may need to do a bit digging into specs to ensure they do meet the required minimum spec.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Current Activity: Viewing Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,627. Received thanks 113 times, giving thanks to others 70 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianW View Post
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hengstler...EAAOSwySlaJSLx

I was looking at that earlier - the listing isn't very helpful as it only quotes the P/N and not the code that gives the spec - zooming in on the photo it looks like it's a D/500 which from the datasheets I've seen give it a 500 counts per rev, which is well under the minimum spec. for the Acorn.

I checked the resolution a 2000 count encoder would give assuming a workpiece of 250mm diameter, and it's about 0.4mm, so having 2000 as a minimum spec. doesn't seem that unreasonable.

Thread Information