Quote Originally Posted by Kitwn View Post
What are you doing about cooling inside the box? My first CNC machine was built into a closed box but it got far too hot inside. I burnt out the motor of my Makita C700 router by installing it in a temporary installation with insufficient cooling air circulation so can say from experience that this matters. I'd also be concerned about the build up of chips and the consequent fire risk if you have no dust extractor in there. I had some experience of that as well, it was why I finally decided to dissmantle the box.

I've just switched from using a brushed router (a Chinese clone of the same C700) to a 2.2kW water cooled brushless spindle on my CNC router and the drop in noise is amazing. Now it's the dust extractor that makes the most noise and there is no high pitched scream which could be heard for some distance outside my shed.

Kit
Thanks for your comments Kit.
I installed a baffle box and extraction fan pretty early on. It does a good job and motors barely get warm, though my jobs aren't much longer than around 20 mins.

As for the fire risk, I NEVER leave the shed when the CNC is powered up. If I have to go somewhere, I switch off and make sure EStop is engaged. I also have a fire extinguisher next to the machine.
I've been running the 2.2kw water cooled spindle from day one :). I still need a decent dust extraction system though. Working on it.