Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
I've got a Tschorn for picking up stock positions on my Syil X7, I'm not sure it's capable of the precision for feature locations on parts to the same repeatability as the axis positioning on my machine though.
If it’s properly dialled in its accurate to microns I think. They do like to loosen up so if supreme accuracy is required it’s best to check it before each measurement. My renishaw is no different but the difference is with that you can leave a ring gauge on the table and automatically calibrate it to compensate for any error which takes about 10 seconds. I’m fairly certain my tschorn is more accurate than the skyfire, particularly when things start cutting, although I’ve used it on parts with 4 setups and not had any issues getting them to spec. It’s immaterial anyway in my opinion because at those sorts of tolerances when a tschorn becomes a liability we are talking 6 figure machines in air conditioned shops.

One thing I would say is never to back off with it, always measure in the same direction, it does seem to stick a little when reversing which can throw things off slightly. If you do overshoot then back all the way off and approach again.