. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Glycol based Antifreeze is normally loaded with corrosion inhibitors, so I would reckon it to be OK. I don't have that problem with my Kress

Thanks cropwell,
    I went water cooled partly because of the high ambient temperatures here (Exmouth, WA) and also the noise. My previous spindle was a Chinese clone of a Makita trimmer/router which screamed the place down as soon as it started and burnt out due to overheating. The new spindle makes as much noise as the pond pump before it starts cutting.

I was a bit surprised by what the salesmant at Auto-Pro said about anti-freeze but I know he's no idiot and thought a few other opinions would be worth getting.

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Here matey. have a look at this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifreeze

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    Here matey. have a look at this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifreeze
    Reminds me of Time Team..."'ere Tony, come and 'ave a look at this!"

Now I'm even more confused, but it shows there's more to this than pouring in some green stuff.

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitwn View Post

Now I'm even more confused, but it shows there's more to this than pouring in some green stuff.

Kit
    Good grief man, you can't use the green stuff, Gotta be blue or red G13 at least. Failing that, how about VW Beetle antifreeze

Personally, I gave it up when they stopped the methanol based stuff.

Cheers !

Rob-T

Well it used to be green! That's only the fluorescein dye anyway. I Think the last time I actually bought anti-freeze in a shop Mrs Thatcher was still PM. I'd had enough of grovelling about under cars at the side of the road by then and vowed that as soon as I could afford it I was going to pay someone else to service my car. I would, of course, now purchase the latest safety approved product from a reputable Australian supplier.

Kit

Any good quality Ethylene Glycol based anti-freeze has corrosion inhibitors which will work well in a system which includes Iron, Steel, Aluminium, and/or Brass, use De-Ionised water too to avoid any chance of impurities building up inside the spindle.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Thread Information