. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nice idea and job you did on them!

For longer lengths you could use a bench disk sander, one with slots for a mitre fence not the other type obviously, one like this (https://www.axminster.co.uk/jet-jsg-...-sander-510390) but with-out the price tag of that unit lol.

I got mine on eBay for £40 second hand, paid for its self with-in a week, there such handy tools to have in the shop I couldn't be without mine now!
    .Me

Very handy. I was offered a series of short rails for an X axis rail upgrade a while back at a very low cost. In the end I dug deep and bought 2 complete long rails but your method looks good.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    Nice idea and job you did on them!

For longer lengths you could use a bench disk sander, one with slots for a mitre fence not the other type obviously, one like this (https://www.axminster.co.uk/jet-jsg-...-sander-510390) but with-out the price tag of that unit lol.

I got mine on eBay for £40 second hand, paid for its self with-in a week, there such handy tools to have in the shop I couldn't be without mine now!
    Yes that is a great idea. Honestly I didn't even consider that the offcuts might be longer than the drill press height could accomodate. That price is ridiculous for a sander, but even with a cheap one you could just rig a fence at 90 degrees to the disc and push the rail into it while keeping it against the fence. Would probably be more accurate than my method too!

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    Very handy. I was offered a series of short rails for an X axis rail upgrade a while back at a very low cost. In the end I dug deep and bought 2 complete long rails but your method looks good.
    Thanks. Yes for the price of proper rail, its worth trying other methods if you have the offcuts.

Side note, do you know where I can get replacement ball bearing...balls. One of my carriages has a few missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealieboyee View Post
    Side note, do you know where I can get replacement ball bearing...balls. One of my carriages has a few missing.
    Ask Lee Roberts, I've seen him mention recently that he has some spare!
    Last edited by AndyGuid; 15-06-2019 at 12:11 AM.

Thread Information