. .
    Hello All

Does anyone know of a supplier of a spindle motor (2.2kw generic chinese 80mm) water cooling kit ? or at least what size fittings and hoses are standard on these motors so that I can improvise something.

Cheers
    Andrew

Good Morning Andrew,

Normally when you buy the spindle etc the water cooling kit can come with it, it saves time and money etc...

I can look at mine later and show you with pics, but its usually 8x5mm hoses 5m, then also cheap china water (pond type) pump, however 5m isn't really enough you need at least 10m I would say, also 8x5mm is bigger than you need, the stuff they send is quite stiff so isn't very flexible, I swapped mine for something like 6x4 clear tube (clear so you can see the flow) I think it was, then I just used a basic 4 Gallon (18ltr) water tank for the sump and pump:

Tank: https://www.toolstation.com/water-storage-tank/p38349
    Tank Lid: https://www.toolstation.com/storage-tank-lid/p67700

Any type of tank really with 15ltr or over capacity is fine, but keep it black (non transparent) so no day light can get in, then you use some Deionised Water and Antifreeze to make the coolant:

DEIONISED WATER: Deionised Water 10 LITRE (2x 5L) | (De Mineralised/De Ionised/Not Distilled) L
    ANTIFREEZE & COOLANT: BLUE ANTIFREEZE & COOLANT | 10 LITRE | -37 ºC | High Concentrate/Longlife | 10L

Normally the generic pump they send has a 1/2" BSPT thread for the out let with a barb type connection for those 8x5 hose, however you can swap it like mine for one of these:

Male Stud: Male Stud Pneumatic Push-In Fitting For Air Sizes 4, 6, 8, 10, 12mm BPST, Metric
    - For 6x4 hose you need to order the 6mm push-in x 1/2" BSPT thread version.

Also for the spindle end you need some new Male Push-Fit studs as well (M8 x 1mm Fine thread), I *think* I have lots of these, I can send you some with the correct thread type, I may also have enough hose I can send as well :), later I will be going to the workshop I will make a video for you of how its all working...
    Last edited by Lee Roberts; 17-10-2022 at 10:10 AM.
    .Me

Hi Lee

Thanks for the offer of parts, i'll pass on that as i'm in Austria and getting anything sent here since brexit is a total PIA. What I was thinking of using is something like this gentleman has in his video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX5d4mYW3-Y he uses some quite fancy couplings and I was wondering if I could cobble up something a bit more simple. I've got fans and a radiator and was wondering if there are industry standard couplings hose etc.

Regards
    Andrew

Ahh ok, well most of these fan/rad active cooling setups have come over from the extreme PC building / moding scene, I am pretty sure the connector couplings are a standard fitment, the threaded parts I've seen are G1/4 BSP (British Standard Pipe Specification), so its just a case of finding the ones you like the most I would say, as the RAD you have is probably G1/4, there is now an abundance of manufacturers for these and I've seen some people using standard 15mm central heating copper pipe for their tubing/pipes on the pc moding stuff.

I believe the guy in the video is using the Alphacool eiszapfen quick release couplings above his spindle, not sure on the rest as cant see much in the Vid.
    .Me

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roberts View Post
    Ahh ok, well most of these fan/rad active cooling setups have come over from the extreme PC building / moding scene, I am pretty sure the connector couplings are a standard fitment, the threaded parts I've seen are G1/4 BSP (British Standard Pipe Specification), so its just a case of finding the ones you like the most I would say, as the RAD you have is probably G1/4, there is now an abundance of manufacturers for these and I've seen some people using standard 15mm central heating copper pipe for their tubing/pipes on the pc moding stuff.

I believe the guy in the video is using the Alphacool eiszapfen quick release couplings above his spindle, not sure on the rest as cant see much in the Vid.
    Hi Lee

Thanks for the info on bsp connectors. I should be able to find them on Amazon or whatever.
    Cheers
    Andrew

Thread Information