A little bit more experimentation, some good news and some irritation. Firstly I stripped the sensor out of the microscope and used it without a lens, to my surprise this works very well. Effectively we are using the cmos sensor as a very high density light detector, it seem undamaged with direct exposure to the laser beam. This also means I can repackage it in a nice compact unit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190812_165558.jpg 
Views:	1045 
Size:	245.3 KB 
ID:	26201

The new issue that has appeared having removed the optics entirely is that this Dewalt laser level is crudely modulating its beam. I presume this is some sort of vendor lock in mechanism so that if you buy a Dewalt detector it will only work with Dewalt laser, or maybe i'm being unfair and it is to discriminate the laser source from other light ;-) Anyway this screws up the rolling shutter on the cmos image sensor, you can see the banding in the left hand frame grab below, not present in the next frame.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dewalt_modulation.png 
Views:	948 
Size:	446.7 KB 
ID:	26202

So either I need to detect and discard frames that contain this banding, open the laser level and disable the modulation or buy a laser line generator from amazon for a couple of quid, although this wouldn't be a self levelling pendulum, which will make setting it up more of a hassle. On the last point although the dewalt unit is self levelling this isn't useful as a repeatable (between measuring sessions) reference plane, it just means the reference plane generated between switching the laser on and off after the session is roughly (~0.3mm per meter) level with earth.