. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    UCCNC on linux was a bit tongue in cheek, I’ve bought it and an UC300ETH for my mills, and would happily slave a couple of I/O for the lathe as well... but it doesn’t do Lathes well. The only reason I have any windows boxAnywhere in the house now is for UCCNC. I do most of the CAD/CAM in the warmth and use the cloud to transfer from Mac to windows in the shed where it gets final fettle before cutting.

Parallel ports?, if they work they can be reliable, they/the signaling doesn’t scare me. If I could find a reliable but cheap Ethernet motion controller for Linux CNCdrive then I will but first stop is trialling Linux CNC in anger before committing to a rabbit hole technology. My plan is to avoid windows where possible.
    Last edited by Doddy; 08-10-2019 at 01:32 PM.

Doddy,
    Using parallel ports has to be on the way out, it's still a cheap starting option for amateurs but it can't last. Trouble is there are now several other options available at various price levels with no clear winner for the inexperienced to choose.
    Last edited by Kitwn; 08-10-2019 at 01:53 PM.
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitwn View Post
    Doddy,
    Using parallel ports has to be on the way out, it's still a cheap starting option for amateurs but it can't last. Trouble is there are now several other options available at various price levels with no clear winner for the inexperienced to choose.
    Engineering is the art of doing for ten shillings what any fool can do for a pound. :-)
    Last edited by Doddy; 08-10-2019 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    Engineering is the art of doing for ten shillings what any fool can do for a pound. :-)
    And for those of us who only have ten shillings available for this specific part of the project, the seventeen-and-sixpence solution is not an option. And having now totally confused all of our non-UK readers and all of our under-50-yearold UK readers, I'm done for today.

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Thread Information