. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    It depends on the grade. I mostly use Cast tooling plate and I can take 4mm DOC slot milling with coolant but I often keep it to half that with a bump in feed to save the cutter but run it dry with air. to keep the mess down. Feeds n speeds I tend to play around with depending on the job but they range from 1000mm/min to 1600mm/min. RPM 12K to 20K often around 15k.

I did play around with deeper DOC and the cutters will happily take 100% Dia but my 2.2Kw spindle isn't very keen, there's nothing left for a safety margin and a slight soft spot will stall it.
    Side cutting it will happily take 1.5xD and I often cut 20mm plate full pass just dibbling it away 0.30mm, which is roughly the serration depth, hence my 0.4 finish passes. When using i-machining (adaptive) I can really ramp it up and it's crazy fast at full DOC.
    Right i'll order a couple, sounds excellent. Are you saying you can cut cast plate full depth (20mm) at 1000mm/min using trochoidal/adaptive? I haven't tried anything like that aggressive, I usually cut at 6mm DOC with a 6mm cutter, ~1600mm/min and 1mm stepover into plate with trochoidal.

Quote Originally Posted by devmonkey View Post
    Right i'll order a couple, sounds excellent. Are you saying you can cut cast plate full depth (20mm) at 1000mm/min using trochoidal/adaptive? I haven't tried anything like that aggressive, I usually cut at 6mm DOC with a 6mm cutter, ~1600mm/min and 1mm stepover into plate with trochoidal.
    No Using i-machining which is Solid-Cam's version of trochoidal I can cut much more aggressively than 1000mm/min at 20mm DOC. i-machining adjusts the feed based on geometry while it's cutting and usually, it's anywhere between 2000-4000mm/min and 14-18000rpm. And that's on the medium setting 4, if I bump up the level to 7 it really rips chips, but it knocks the hell out the machine and spindle so I keep it between 3-4. This usually spits out feeds between 2-3000mm/min, 12000rpm and varies the step over between 0.1 and 0.9mm. See Pic

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imach.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	288.1 KB 
ID:	28841
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Thread Information