. .
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    At the moment I'm strongly leaning towards Linux CNC and mesa cards which I know is more than capable.! . . . The weak link here is ME.!. . I've never used Linux CNC or Mesa cards but I know a man who knows is onions, hey Clive S..Lol . . . I'm sure together we'll figure it out.!

Watch this space.!
    Don't take the piss it's a steep learning curve. But we will get there in another world.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Nice machine. Bit odd how they leave the rails sticking outside the castings - does the carriage move onto that region or stop before?

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    At the moment I'm strongly leaning towards Linux CNC and mesa cards which I know is more than capable.! . . . The weak link here is ME.!. . I've never used Linux CNC or Mesa cards but I know a man who knows is onions, hey Clive S..Lol . . . I'm sure together we'll figure it out.!
    Has everyone changed since I've been gone . I'm sure between the people here you'll manage it. I've not tuned a servo motor with closed loop control through LinuxCNC either, but in other systems I've worked with it's generally not been so hard so I wouldn't shy away from it if that's a solution you can try without spending extra cash.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

It is a possibility I can just change the Resolver for encoder on the 4th axis which I don't think will be too difficult. Need to check both out more.!
    I would agree with this - you might need to machine up a few bits to kluge an encoder on, but from what you're saying that would be a lot less effort than some of the alternative routes.

If there was money in the budget for it I'd be tempted to go for a Siemens 808D Advanced or other stand alone industrial controller rather than a PC/OS/Software Mash Up, you end up with something that has been developed with industrial requirement pressures rather than developed by a committee, many of whom have never worked in machining.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    If there was money in the budget for it I'd be tempted to go for a Siemens 808D Advanced or other stand alone industrial controller rather than a PC/OS/Software Mash Up, you end up with something that has been developed with industrial requirement pressures rather than developed by a committee, many of whom have never worked in machining.
    What kinda money would something like this be?

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    This?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/26375881019...kaAh6JEALw_wcB

If that was 'all' it cost and no licenses would be needed, surely that would be worth it?

That's the 808D, 3-axis only, the 808D Advanced does 4 axes.
    I'd expect to spend a few grand on the 4-Axis, ideally you also need the extra panel with speed and feed over-ride knobs etc.
    Something Fanuc or Fanuc compatible would be equally good for a retro-fit but I favour Siemens as the documentation and support is excellent.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

OK. Suppose if you could find something at discount rates, not bad. For me I might not need 4th axis, so wondering if this route might be worth considering.

Anyways - need to focus on house buying at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Nice machine. Bit odd how they leave the rails sticking outside the castings - does the carriage move onto that region or stop before?
    Honestly I don't know I've not moved axis to end stops but I've seen other industrial machines use similiar setups. Think some older Haas machines use this setup, which isn't surprising because the First haas VF machines where based on Fadals.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Has everyone changed since I've been gone . I'm sure between the people here you'll manage it. I've not tuned a servo motor with closed loop control through LinuxCNC either, but in other systems I've worked with it's generally not been so hard so I wouldn't shy away from it if that's a solution you can try without spending extra cash.
    Only thing that changed is a Few Old mates are missing and missed.!

Regards the Closed loop and Analog it doesn't really bother me if honest but why make things difficult if can use Step & Dir.
    If wanted to keep the costs down I could just throw encoders on motors and use the Cslabs IP-A controller I already have and use all the existing motor/Amps etc But don't want to take that route, I'm thinking more long term for when things fail.

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Yes, this and few other more industrial controllers are being considered. However, I'm pretty sure the Sinumerik controllers only work with Siemans drives and motors and it's not worth throwing 8K at the machine this Old. Also, Industrial controllers like Siemens, Fanuc, etc all have hidden costs because features like 4Th axis or Ridged tapping, etc are licensed.

Also, let's be fair the reality is they offer nothing any of the others don't, other than little more Bling.! . . . . I see it like Cheap kitchens.? . . . Good Kitchen fitter can make a cheap kitchen look Bling just using better quality fittings.!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information