. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I read on the info sheet on these drivers that the normal temperature of a stepper is 80 -90C so quite hot and definately not warm to the touch as others have said.

peter

2. Stepper motors run very hot and normal operation would be about 60 deg, but with high voltage this temp will go up.

Quote Originally Posted by ptjw7uk View Post
    I read on the info sheet on these drivers that the normal temperature of a stepper is 80 -90C so quite hot and definately not warm to the touch as others have said.

peter

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Stepper motors run very hot and normal operation would be about 60 deg, but with high voltage this temp will go up.
    I have a strange notion that they get hotter as the load increases. I could be wrong but I seem to remember mine get hot when I put in a fat ripper and cut uphill through steel. Usually I'm an 8mm dowhill in aluminium sort bloke and my motors run lukewarm.

You'd think it would be the same regardless of loading but I'm starting to wonder if stepper motors might be a black art :naughty:

Whatever, I have the motors, I have the drives, I have fat wires and trunking. If the shrinkwrap arrives tomorrow I will wire them up over the weekend then report back

I suppose a sane person would have tried one motor and driver for the smoke test, but not me, all three on one turn of the switch

Aren't I lucky it passed

Bad luck, I've found out how to add movies

Had to take a movie in case it went horribly wrong :naughty:
    Last edited by Robin Hewitt; 16-01-2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Movie added

ITS A PASS :clap: LMAO !

Bring on the Robin Hewitt movies, i had popcorn ready and everything for this one...if only i had seen the 0:00/0:42 run time !!

slunks back outside....to the shed...

Tcha! Everyone's a critic

You wanted an epic?

Okay it would have made a better movie if it had exploded like the bridge of the starship Enterprise when those nasty Klingons have a pop at them, but I'm rather glad it didn't

Robin

7. how do you wire a stepper motor into parallel?????

8. An eight wire stepper motor is actually a four phase stepper motor rather than two phase, so you get the four phases and iether connect them in series or parallel.
    If you have a look at the SY60 datasheet it will show you how this is done.

http://www.slidesandballscrews.com/p...H86-3008BF.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by cncezee View Post
    how do you wire a stepper motor into parallel?????

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Parallel will give you more speed / mechanical power, but will also run a lot hotter.
    My suggestion is to try it in series and if it works for you leave it there.
    If you find you need more speed, connect it in parallel.
    Dont forget to set the correct currents.
    If it is the FL86STH156 or SY85STH156 it is 3A in series and 6A in parallel.
    Hi Gary

It goes fine and dandy but it's running the motors hotter than I feel comfortable with. If I put a drop of suds on the motor, it boils.

I can't reduce the currrent because 3.18A is as low as it goes.

I can switch to paralell and, effectively, run less current. When you say, "A lot hotter" do you mean the motor or the driver?

Much ta

Robin

10. You can try in in parallel and monitor the temps.
    With this driver the motors will run hot, but they shoud be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    Hi Gary

It goes fine and dandy but it's running the motors hotter than I feel comfortable with. If I put a drop of suds on the motor, it boils.

I can't reduce the currrent because 3.18A is as low as it goes.

I can switch to paralell and, effectively, run less current. When you say, "A lot hotter" do you mean the motor or the driver?

Much ta

Robin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information