. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan2020 View Post
    I was looking at the x-carve ones but i don't know if it would be powerful enough to engrave stone.

Could someone please advise what cnc machine(s) would be best for this type of work, which would be within an affordable range, would i be able to get one for around £5000? where would I get one from, could someone advise of a decent supplier preferably within the uk?
    Hi Dan,

First, forget any of the cheap machines like X-carve, etc, they struggle to cut hardwoods correctly let alone any type of stone.

To be honest you have no chance of buying a new machine capable of cutting Granite or Marble with £5k. Not even a small one.!
    It's not even possible to DIY build a machine that would be reliable and strong enough with £5k. The correct spindle setup alone will cost £5k or more.

I build bespoke machines for people, mostly wood-routers, but I do have a little experience with the type of machine you need as I helped build a large machine for friend who cuts Marble/granite work surfaces and while the Stone cutting machines you'll see work and look just like wood-routers they need to be built much stronger and with different components that handle water and cutting forces involved.

The spindles used are lower RPM with high torque, more akin to what's used on a milling machine. Typical RPM for Engraving granite with V-shaped PCD tooling is 6000-8000Rpm. Most spindles used for wood won't spin this low and still have any usable torque left.
    When you get into hole boring or using what they call parallel routing cutters your down into the 1000-3000Krpm range.

Then you have the cost of tooling, if you are into cutting stone you'll know how expensive PCD tooling is, but when you get into CNC tooling or CNC Profile cutters for edge cutting and polishing, etc it gets eye-watering.
    Edge profiling/polishers come as a 7 piece set, the first 4 tools cuts and prepare the stone and the last 3 polish the edge. Each set costs £1800 and you need a set for each profile shape.!!!

So what I'm trying to get over is that unless you are prepared to spend at least £10k on the machine, even one that is only large enough to cut a single headstone and just to use for Engraving let alone a full 12' x 6' slab and profiling, etc then forget it. It's a different beast of a machine that's required.

Also, don't be fooled if you've seen Routers like X-carve, etc cutting stone or marble, etc on Youtube, or even more sturdy machines for that matter, because while they'll manage a video or two the won't stand up to constant use or even decent part-time use before they become sloppier than whores flu and the spindle goes into meltdown. Those taking the videos won't ever tell you this.!

I'll PM you my number if you want to have a chat I'll give you any help or advice I can. I'm up the road in Goole if you ever want to come to see a machine being built or working.

Edit: Dan you are still in the clearing stage because new to the forum so I cannot PM you yet, write a few more posts, I think it's ten needed then it will let you PM.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 07-02-2020 at 07:17 PM.

Thread Information