. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have just purchased a 1.5 kw 6040 cnc router from eBay, this was a replacement for the 800 watt that stopped working after 1 hour, this one is a lot better quality but unfortunately the X axis is not working and when I try to move the X axis on the keyboard it switches the spindle on & off, I’ve heard the Chinese controllers are not that good so I would like to replace it with better components, I would like a separate VFD from the control box to avoid EMI but have no idea what components I need to get or where to get them from, I would also need a wiring diagram, an idiots guide would be good 😊 if anyone one can help a 70 year old novice I would be very grateful, regards Mike

Hi Mike,

Do you want to start again and build a fully new control box or re-use some of what you have.? Problem with these Chinese controllers is that you never know what's inside so before going any further it might be worth you taking the lid of the control box and take some pictures of what's inside. You could probably re-use some of it. Esp the VFD as they often just remove the front panel and place it on the front of the box. It's easy enough to fit back on and use it.
    Don't worry about EMI being a problem because more often than not those having problems have them because of poor wiring practices ie: bad earthing, rather than from the VFD it self.

Lives in Australind, Australia. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Has been a member for 4-5 years. Has a total post count of 72. Received thanks 4 times, giving thanks to others 5 times.
    Did you buy a new spindle or a whole new machine?
    Is this your first CNC Router?
    If so , its a bit daunting to jump straight in and start replacing Break Out Boards, etc.
    If not, there is plenty of help available here.

Hi thanks for your reply, because I don’t know what part is defective and causing the X axis to not work I thought I would replace the whole contents of the controller box, regards Mike.

Hi Sterob, I purchased a full machine, this was to replace the first one that went down, I also own a cnc laser cutter/engraver, when I work out how to upload photos I will show you all, regards Mike

OClick image for larger version. 

Name:	3D510123-C6B3-4C04-8B06-E875C477347D.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	304.4 KB 
ID:	27360

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forums. When you say:

Quote Originally Posted by Edendale View Post
    unfortunately the X axis is not working and when I try to move the X axis on the keyboard it switches the spindle on & off
    It strikes me that this could just be a software configuration issue and you need to change some port and pin numbers Mach3 to get it working.

Have I missed the point, or were you planning on ripping out the electrons and spending (a potential substantial amount of) time and money anyway?

Lives in Australind, Australia. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Has been a member for 4-5 years. Has a total post count of 72. Received thanks 4 times, giving thanks to others 5 times.
    It might be easier and less frustrating just to fix the X axis?
    It might be just a loose wire or a bad connection. Push plugs in, tighten wires and give them a little tug.
    You might come across several that are suspicious....Try plugging the x axis stepper into another stepper output and see if the fault changes.
    Inspect stepper cable terminations as well. Wires break.....
    You might be able to narrow down where the fault is.

Hi, I’ve tried replacing the stepper driver and it’s not that, believe it could be something to do with the break out board but not sure, if I plug the X axis into the Y axis it works fine, I could send it back as faulty but I would really like to try and sort it out, regards Mike

Hi Andy, I downloaded a file and imported it into Mach 3 that the seller sent me, I have also checked all the settings in Mach 3 with the settings they gave me and all looks right, at first it was just the X axis that was not working but now all axis have stopped working as it has lost contact with pc, going by how good Chinese electricals are I thought it might be worth changing the lot,regards Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information