. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silly things that shouldn't be repeated:

Like today : Storing a pre-made (and used) gun-blue liquid stain in a glass jar.
    Placing jar on high shelf.
    Above the milling machine.
    Sat on steel-clad bench.
    Slamming the shed door as I leave the shed, hearing something fall off a shelf and thinking "I'll sort that later".

Result: One massively stained steel bench top and a camo-patterned bed on the mill. And glass and liquid everywhere.

Lesson learnt: Don't store liquids on high shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    Silly things that shouldn't be repeated:

Like today : Storing a pre-made (and used) gun-blue liquid stain in a glass jar.
    Placing jar on high shelf.
    Above the milling machine.
    Sat on steel-clad bench.
    Slamming the shed door as I leave the shed, hearing something fall off a shelf and thinking "I'll sort that later".

Result: One massively stained steel bench top and a camo-patterned bed on the mill. And glass and liquid everywhere.

Lesson learnt: Don't store liquids on high shelves.
    I take it you are having a bad week
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Checking the DC outputs, 5v read 5.1 so ok there but couldn't get a reading on the 24V ??? After twenty minutes faffing about realised the meter was set to 20V, reset to 200 and ask sweet.

Machining a 2mm thick control panel to a cnc lathe conversion. Everything turned out great, except for the largest 50mm hole. This hole is for a gearbox lever. It turns out that when measuring the position for the hole I forgot to subtract the square width (I used a square for a reason I wont get into). So now the hole is offset 30mm, awesome.

Skickat från min SM-A530F via Tapatalk

Getting off the forklift to move something but not taking it out of gear....: Benny hill would av been proud watching me chase forklift, then It chasing me ...

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    I take it you are having a bad week
    Speaking of which Doddy can you suggest what current I should be sending my Denford Router steppers? The drivers are getting 65V.

Quote Originally Posted by ngwagwa View Post
    Speaking of which Doddy can you suggest what current I should be sending my Denford Router steppers? The drivers are getting 65V.
    Not funny! And definitely not 4A. My Denford star mill was rated 2.1A but can't tell you if that's appropriate for the router. Don't worry about the voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    Not funny! And definitely not 4A. My Denford star mill was rated 2.1A but can't tell you if that's appropriate for the router. Don't worry about the voltage.
    Sorry wasn't mocking just thought you'd have a figure in mind.

SO TODAY... replacement stepper for the one I burnt out on the Star Mill arrived. Nice big motor. Now, for those unfamiliar with a Star Mill, the Y-axis motor (the one that this replaces) sits parallel with the Y screw, mirrored back onto the screw, with a pair of pulleys connecting them. So, the body of the motor resides inside the cavity of the iron casting of the column.

This is also where the original 180VDC 1/2HP spindle motor sits, as well, on the moving Z-column. Not that I use that - I have an externally mounted Chinese spindle, but never got around to removing the original spindle motor. I mean, what harm can it do?

So... bigger motor goes into the column, re-assemble, swap the A-Axis driver to Y-Axis and reduce the current/coil to 3A. Feels about right. Fire up UCCNC - YEAH, Y-Axis back to life. Let's just check the rest of the axis - X = yes, Z = yes..... CRACK!

So, the original spindle motor traversed down, hit the new longer stepper on the Y-Axis, and decided that the weak link in the chain is the column casting - there's a strip at the base around 10mm in width that had two bolts holding the Y-motor plate in place. Well that's gone now. Tomorrows job - I've got some 10mm steel plate somewhere - time to cut a replacement plate and bolt that in place. Then rewire some of the sheared cables that got trapped between the stepper and the spindle. I *think* all the drivers are okay, but I've plenty of MOSFETs in the post if not.

I think this Star Mill is becoming the pet project of the week for me.

How about ordering something online and selecting free delivery at 3 to 5 days as your only getting as a "just in case backup" then having to sit around when you realise you really need it :(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information