. .

Thread: Help needed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I've joined this forum in the hope of finding someone who I can pay to do an on-site visit to my workshop and get my Bionica Systems CNC router properly axis aligned - both Y and Z axis are not true.

And so you ask why not contact Bionica? Well. as much as I have stood by them for the past 3 years and spent a lot of money having the machine serviced and modified it has never been right. It is a promill which is a mono bloc construction. I know how to use it and produce parts for my world class ukulele. But I am a useless technician when it comes to fixing my machines.

If anyone is prepared to come over to North Wales when all of the travel restrictions are done and sort my machine out I'd be willing to pay what it would cost me to send this machine back to Devon and have it returned 2 months late much the same as it went out my workshop door.

You can mail me at [email protected] or cal 07811054584

And just so you know. I am a full time ukulele maker building stuff like this on my CNC router:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RTNO Front.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	240.2 KB 
ID:	27977

Welcome to the forum Pete, and good luck getting your system sorted.

I hadn't heard of Bionica Systems CNC before so googled them and the Promill https://www.bionicasystems.com/promill/ looks to me very much like a machine from Marchant Dice who didn't have a great reputation as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyGuid View Post
    Welcome to the forum Pete, and good luck getting your system sorted.

I hadn't heard of Bionica Systems CNC before so googled them and the Promill https://www.bionicasystems.com/promill/ looks to me very much like a machine from Marchant Dice who didn't have a great reputation as I recall.
    That's because it is Mr Merchant dice using another name because they went bust I think.! . . .Same rubbish service and machine just different name.!

Peter what exactly is the issue.?

Edit: OMFG I've just been and looked at the Promill and I see the problem. The whole machine is the problem.!!
    It must sway like 100ft popular tree in F7 wind. If your chasing accuracy and stiffness then you'll never get it because that design is such a poor weak flimsy design.

If your unhappy with it's performance then you might think about selling it and having a word with me about building you something custom to your needs.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 28-04-2020 at 09:54 AM.

Yes formerly Marchant Dice.

Nice people but very poor after purchase service and machine is flawed. Problem is I require it to do some pretty heavy lifting as well as a few light push-ups!

Check inbox JAZZCNC

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Peter what exactly is the issue.?

Edit: OMFG I've just been and looked at the Promill and I see the problem. The whole machine is the problem.!!
    It must sway like 100ft popular tree in F7 wind. If your chasing accuracy and stiffness then you'll never get it because that design is such a poor weak flimsy design.

If your unhappy with it's performance then you might think about selling it and having a word with me about building you something custom to your needs.
    Brutally blunt as always lol.
    I've seen kids toys that look stronger!!!!

I know the faults of Bionica machines, I have a MD piece of crap. It is a hobby in it's own right sorting out the crapness of the design.

Among the things I have done so far :-
    The gantry has been braced with a sheet of aluminium 6mm thick that joins the uprights and the cross profiles (In my case only 1 at the top)
    The floating screws relied on the stepper motor bearings to prevent end float. I have used thrust bearings and collars to stabilise the screw to the frame. This was especially important on the Z axis.
    The home switches have been re-sited to operate en-passant instead of end-on collision mode. Limit switches have also been fitted.
    Retaining brackets have been fitted to stop the linear bearings dropping out of the bottom of the Z axis profile. They were push fit but very loose and held in by a plastic profile end cap.

There are other design faults, but they depress me to think of them.

I can get reasonable results for hobby work, which is all I do, but MD should not have gone to the wall, they should have been put against it and milled with one of their own machines. (That gives them a 50/50 chance).

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    I can get reasonable results for hobby work, which is all I do, but MD should not have gone to the wall, they should have been put against it and milled with one of their own machines. (That gives them a 50/50 chance).
    Best laugh I've had all day, Rob!

It's earned it's money but yes, one step up from a hobby machine.

Did the installation 'engineer' check all the alignments? - I would bet not!

You need to check is that there is no twist in the gantry rails*, this will cause all sorts of inaccuracies. First rough check is with a large engineers square. Just eyeball the contact with the rails at each end of travel.

If you clamp a decent size engineer's square to the bed and align it with the X or Y axis using a dial guage, does it give a square reading when jogging along the other axis.

Then, when you have sorted that out, does the Z axis run true vertical wrt the bed. Again using a square and dial guage, testing at both ends of the gantry travel and also in the middle.

* this is also true for all rails. If they are not set up in tram and at 90deg to each other then you will never cut true geometry.
    Last edited by cropwell; 29-04-2020 at 05:44 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information