. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    m_c: Part of the problem with the old controller, and part of the reason for its demise was the lack of a controllable input - other than through push-button control. I intimated a 0-10/CW/CCW control, but that's a generic wiring for two mills controlled by the single controller - so I'm looking to break commonality and have different solutions for the Starmill (Ana/switched) and the Sieg (Step/Dir). Back of my mind I'm thinking that this might open up rigid tapping vs analogue control (although I think there's an encoder output on the servo controller, also. Either way, Jazz and m_c, thanks, you're giving me confidence in pursuing this (it's also an eye opener to the performance of servos vs steppers)

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    (it's also an eye opener to the performance of servos vs steppers)
    Servo's will always Rip a stepper to pieces in most ways except complexity, which you are just about to experience.!! This is why I always tell people who are new or don't require what servos offer to stay away.!

Wait until the encoder throws a bitch fit then you'll truly appreciate the difference between Steppers and Servo's.....
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Servo's will always Rip a stepper to pieces in most ways except complexity, which you are just about to experience.!! This is why I always tell people who are new or don't require what servos offer to stay away.!

Wait until the encoder throws a bitch fit then you'll truly appreciate the difference between Steppers and Servo's.....
    Having to bore/ream the pulley to 16mm and broach the keyway kinda painted a picture that it isn’t going to mess about. Hoping that the use as a spindle motor will be a gentle introduction to servos. Was looking at the price and you can’t escape that they are more expensive than steppers but factor in psu etc and that gap is coming down.

Thread Information