So it is now working again after a few hicupps and alterations to settings.

Not sure if any others will be tempted towards a similar project. Albeit it is an economic route to a CNC function if you already have a decent sized milling machine to begin with.

I like the idea because (as I said above) it saves interfering with the mechanics and drives of an existing machine, and in particular where modifications might detract from the value of an older and possibly much sought after machine.

I can easily unplug my table and set it aside if I want to use the machine as a manual mill. Or I can even do a manual manual job with the CNC compound in place, using the Deckel mill’s own feeds and traverses, although I do recognise that rigidity will be a problem for larger jobs.
I always wondered, if I converted my machine to CNC then what would I do if I needed to do some simple conventional milling, but no problem here.
The table has a pretty decent work area for a first machine, probably a bit larger than a typical Chinese first step machine, so probably an easier project than converting something like a Seig x2 or a base machine of that order. Table length is good so lots of space for decent size workpieces or even a fourth axis if you are tempted to go that far.
I have proved to myself that I can build a budget CNC machine. In my case the total cost of parts was a tad under £500 , So pretty reasonable and no massive loss if it turns out that I lose interest (which I honestly can’t imagine)
I have thoroughly enjoyed the project and learned a lot too. So I can be much more confident in starting a second and maybe much more robust project.
I may move on to a larger table, hopefully one with more space, and better put together.

I am tempted by this one which looks more up to the job, with taper gibs. It would be nice to see one in the flesh though to be able to assess general fit and finish.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMPOUND-...YAAOSw42JZLsWB
It is not significantly taller than my first attempt so would certainly fit my on my Deckel table.

This has certainly been a valuable project for me, a test bed to practice the skills which I am only beginning to grasp. I have certainly learned a lot in the process and it has been highly enjoyable as a project in itself. And as I hopefully progress to higher things, I will still have this as fall back option to test ideas. They say that “any old bike is good enough to practice on” so I will hang on to this even if I move to something more exciting.

So if you are contemplating converting a sturdy old mill to CNC then I would certainly advocate this route. Not for everyone, but certainly works for me!