. .

Thread: USB to Ethernet

Guys,

I am planning on using multiple USB devices with my UCCNC setup. In my control box I have a 5 port ethernet switch, and my control PC is external to the control box, connected only by a ethernet cable to the switch. IN the control box box I am planning on installing a Raspberry PI 4 running VirtualHere (https://www.virtualhere.com/home) USB to IP software to convert all the usb inputs to ethernet.

Do you foresee any issue with the above idea?

Thanks
    Ian

If you're talking of UCNC devices running USB... I can guess at a couple of potential issues.

You're running ethernet to the control, from the control to the pi, from the pi to several USB UCCNC devices?

I believe (though I could be wrong) that UCCNC will enumerate the device that it's connected to to determine the type of interface. If this is a USB interface then there's a chance that "Computer says No" when it examines the device and wonders how it's talking over ethernet. There's also a chance (and I could be wrong) that devices that support USB and Ethernet interfaces that the message encapsulation (and protocol) will be rather different.

Really daft question, why don't you use ethernet-compatible UCCNC devices instead of USB?

Now, possibly you're talking USB MPG pendants and similar?, and not the UCCNC device? in which case I see fewer problems, but much depends on the individual devices and drivers. You're unlikely to saturate the ethernet though I would suggest running a private local LAN for the machine traffic (including USB) - I wouldn't share this with home network (so, twin-pic configuration) - but that just for common sense protection.

Ethernet isn't USB (I don't mean that to sound so trite) but the behaviour of peculiar interface implementations may not survive well over the format translation. I'll be interested to hear how you get on. I'd hazard a guess of 60-70% chance of success.

Personally, I wouldn't, but that doesn't mean that it can't be done.

If you really need to have that many devices (by the sounds of it) the logical way to go is:
    UC300ETH-5LPT
    UB1
    UD1-U
    A couple female IDC26 just in case.

Basically the UC300ETH-Max:
    https://www.cncroom.com/interface-ca...9j425b01n32q35

The way you are describing it sounds iffy. For a start an ethernet switch is just that, a device that switches between devices according to priority.
    There's your first bottleneck.

Doddy, I am using the UC300ETH board, the USB will only be for peripherals, eg, camera, MPG etc. Also I am planning on running this in a isolated LAN so NOT connected to the home network.

Thanks
    Ian

I'd surprised if this didn't work, I highly doubt the UC 300 is using the full gigabit bandwidth, and it must also be doing some buffering. From the PCs point of view the USBs will be local. Just make sure everything is on the same subnet.

I realy duno how u can connect to a ip adress without actualy asking for it to connect , the system is made to use a pc lihe a host and connect peripherials to pc , not to whatewer u want to connect it .
    How will comunicate ur usb peripherials , if u dont start software ?
    With who will comunicate ur usb dongles?
    U can connect a train to a plane and ask them to go in some direction , but they dont comply.
    For connecting a usb to work with a ethernet u need a gate and the device to comunicate thro that gate .
    If u have skills in protocol comunications , then probaly u would acuire some thinks , but u need protocols from uc300 to mach3 or uccnc software , and u need to interfere this protocols .

I don't think anyone has bothered to read the virtual here link. Iforeman is connecting the USB device to a raspberry pi. This then has software which transmits the connection to a client on the remote PC. As far as the remote PC is concerned the USB device is plugged in locally. Nobody is suggesting just throwing an RJ45 on a USB cable.

Andy,

You beat me to it

<deleted - just argumentative and not adding anything>

Thread Information