Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
The only slight draw back is lower acceleration, a thinner lighter screw will accelerate quicker with less power required. Depending on what motors you fit this will be hardly noticeable for the most part unless you are doing lots of point to point moves or short moves like in 3D jobs.

Bigger isn't always better or can be called over kill, because all it's doing is crippling the performance and costing extra. It adds nothing to the machine but weight and money.!

If it was me I'd be fitting 2020.!

I'd also be looking to stiffen up the gantry. Although the Aluminium cross plate may look strong because it's a thick piece of aluminium it's actually not because it's just a flat and unbraced so at that width it will vibrate when cutting, this vibration will transfer into the spindle so will show in the cut quality.
Also don't be fooled into thinking the rails will stiffen it up because they won't and don't. What it needs is a perpendicular brace across the back to make it like "T" on it's side.!
Thanks for the tips! Is there any real downside to a pitch of 10mm vs 20 or 25? If I’ve understood it right, it means less torque if I’m using servos at a given speed, vs running higher rotations and getting more power at the cost of lower top speeds. My assumption was that unwound not be hitting top speeds (in terms of motor rotations) with either solution. I was looking at these motors for all three axes:

https://www.sorotec.de/shop/JMC-Serv...ml?language=en

Running the lot off an EdingCNC board.

I had seen cross braces for the gantry i. Other builds, will see about adding one, thanks! It can double as a mounting spot for the energy chain as well. Any suggestions as to dimensions? Intuitively I would prefer something like 20mm thick 100mm wide solid bar, drilled and tapped every 50-60mm, to a piece of extrusion. Or is something thicker or wider a wiser choice?