. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Actually they may be the same, after looking at their webpage.

Now you tell me......:heehee:

I've decided to roll my own, with the help of Tribbles of course. 4amp, idle current reduction and full power on half step but no micro stepping.

If it dosnt work out then £30-40 an axis sounds great

3. Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Not a lot to choose. More expensive and no better than a decent PP card but has the option of being able to use laptops and any USB interfaced computer.

There is an argument that PP port equiped computers are dying out, it is true but there are still 1,000's about for not much money that the argument isn't valid.
    I buy Dell DX260 in bulk.

No mine but this is how they are offered, cost about £20 each with an XP license on them.

However we are trialling a couple of the USB boards, first one will be later this month and I expect that the price will drop.
    The one shown is from a different company that the ones that developed them,
    John,

I have a couple of old laptops laying about is there any downside in using them? or should I be investing in a cheap old dell?!

Joe,
    Truthfully can't answer this question at this time.
    Using laptop with parallel port is a no no but the USB card 'should' be OK.
    So far although we have two cards neither has been tested because I'm in the process of converting a manual mill to CNC and it will be used on this, probably about 2 weeks away from testing given this has to fit in with my regular work.

It will be tested on a Dell to start as the 'test bench ' is so equipped but I'm also interested in seeing if the laptop will run it OK
    John S -

5. Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post

It will be tested on a Dell to start as the 'test bench ' is so equipped but I'm also interested in seeing if the laptop will run it OK
    Me too. Be good to hear how it gets on... Thanks John

6. Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Joe,
    Truthfully can't answer this question at this time.
    Using laptop with parallel port is a no no but the USB card 'should' be OK.
    So far although we have two cards neither has been tested because I'm in the process of converting a manual mill to CNC and it will be used on this, probably about 2 weeks away from testing given this has to fit in with my regular work.

Any news on this John?

Still 2 weeks away <g>
    Problem is my day job is emergency repairs and I never know what comes thru the door to upset planned jobs.
    Starting to wire the box up Friday, fingers crossed and then sort the machine out.

machine is all converted mechanically, just need covers and bellows re fitting.
    John S -

8. OK be glad to hear when you get it up and running. Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information