. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I was about to apologise having re-read my earlier answer - I'm terrible at writing at one level without trying to understand the level of the reader. My last reply was mostly gibberish - and that's my fault. By all means challenge any reply I offer.

However, I the Open Collector is I think a new question.

It's derived from a concept of the use of BJT (don't worry) transistors to switch a device on or off. The BJT has three pins, one of which is the collector. Open Collector, refers to the collector of the BJT not being connected to anything (open circuit). That's from the context of the switch, but of course you use the switch to switch a load (device) on or off. The BJT connects the load to the supply line. There's two flavours of BJTs - NPN and PNP. For an NPN Open Collector system, the collector switches to ground. So, you connect your device to the +V supply, and to the open collector switch. The BJT switches on to connect the collector to ground, which then provides power to the load. PNPs are opposite - the collector switches to +V. So you connect your device/load between the Open Collector output and ground. When the BJT is on the Collector is connected to +V.

And I re-read that and it still sounds nonsense.

EDIT:

One of the main benefits of Open Collector outputs is that you can wire them in parallel - because they only switch to ground (NPN... see above for PNP) then they can't overload other, parallel connected, Open collector outputs.

EDIT 2:

The following link gives some explanation. Not sure the internal of the comparator is useful - ignore that bit. This talks NPN BJTs.

http://www.learningaboutelectronics....tor-output.php
    Last edited by Doddy; 28-08-2020 at 04:29 PM.

I only mentioned the open collector because it mentions in on connections page 13 of the panansonic manual. Note 2.

Is it me or is the Panasonic manual confusing on purpose?

Sorry for the dumb questions - but I guess you have to start somewhere.
    Every time I am wrong - the World makes a little less sense.

Thread Information