. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks for the replies

Tribbles
    Im not using the optos as i plan to make modular set up with a master board for the optos. Thank for spotting the mistakes, thought it was a funny looking diode :whistling:

The +5 is supplied from the input connector, Bottom left.

Irving

So is the Pic just earthing the 5v supply to the VREF making it 0v which means there is no holding current? I presume it would then revert back when a pulse is detected on the clock line?

2. Quote Originally Posted by Ross77 View Post
    Thanks for the replies...
    Irving

So is the Pic just earthing the 5v supply to the VREF making it 0v which means there is no holding current? I presume it would then revert back when a pulse is detected on the clock line?
    Well if that was the case it would be pointless IMHO. I had a quick scan round and can't find the original design writeup for this circuit. I am wondering if the PIC modulates the VREF rather than just shutting it off...

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
    Well if that was the case it would be pointless IMHO. I had a quick scan round and can't find the original design writeup for this circuit. I am wondering if the PIC modulates the VREF rather than just shutting it off...
    It could do that - it would reduce the holding torque for the motors as a result. It would then provide the "full" VREF when it's being clocked. It might be a very short pulse...

Modulating the vref would make sense as no holding current isnt much use. Is that why a Pic is used rather than a 555?

I did find another cuircuit that uses logic gates to trigger 2 separates trim pots but the control signal came from an external source or the software. would it be possible to use a 555 chip to trigger this circuit?

This would make more sense and be easier to setup
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4AStepperMotorCard_V1_2.pdf  

Thread Information