Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
Ah, it looks like the RH is a simpler turret, as it only rotates one direction without the complicated and time critical locking/direction reversal of the TOE turrets.
I've got a TOE (or at least all the parts of one after a slight mishap), and I ended up controlling it via a PLC, using my rotary phase converter to power everything.

The issue is although it's quite a small motor, it's pushed hard due to the inertia of the turret. As I said, you'll probably need to add a braking resistor to brake the motor fast enough before reversing it, and possibly increase the current limiting above the rating for the motor to get fast enough acceleration (make sure the thermal switch is wired in to kill things if the motor does overheat) but given the slacker time requirements of the RH, a VFD should handle it quite comfortably.

I'm guessing this is on Denford lathe?
If it is, Denford did use VFDs on some lathes to control the turret, so it could be worth asking over on the Denford forums to see if anybody knows what size of VFD they used, and how it was configured in terms of acceleration/deceleration.
its actually an Italian AVM MAS165s CNC sold by Meggitt machine tools
its quite difficult to find a 110v output vfd. is the TOE 110v?
been told by a nice chap at inverter drive supermarket that while many inverters can run Voltage/frequency mode with fixed frequency and voltage set to 110.(much like muzzer has said) The issue is that inverters are electrically dirty and with dc bus voltage of around 300vdc can lead to rather nasty peaks which can be damaging to the motors insulation. Not so bad if the motor is rated for 240v but not great at 110v