. .
    Hi all,

I'm new here but thought I would post up a link to my vlog channel and progress on the CNC mill I have designed and began to build. I have just released part 5 of the series, where the column gets tack welded to the machine.

My intention is to update this thread every time I release a new part of the series so that you can all see the progress and hopefully provide some constructive criticism along the way.

My objective for this project is to design and build a CNC milling machine without the need for any machining of the parts. Ordinarily, building a mill requires a much bigger mill to get the axis surfaces flat and parallel.

By using aluminum tool plate (which is in theory pre-machined flat) and bolting the critical components rather than welding, it should be possible to avoid any machine work. After all, I'm building a mill because I don't have one!

Linear rails and ball screws are the cheap Chinese 20mm style that you can find on eBay etc.

Here goes:

DIY CNC Milling Machine Build - (Part 5) - The Z Axis Column
    https://youtu.be/h7CQhEioza8

DIY CNC Milling Machine Build - (Part 4) - Building a Machine Stand and Mating the Axes
    https://youtu.be/d9UuCtLNJZc

DIY CNC Milling Machine Build - (Part 3) - Screwing around!
    https://youtu.be/nUCH6f88bB0

DIY CNC Milling Machine Build - (Part 2) - Building the X axis and machine table
    https://youtu.be/l9x863OKUB8

DIY CNC Milling Machine Build - (Part 1) - CNC Mill CAD design and the Y axis
    https://youtu.be/B4HFDCsQomc

Looking good so far !
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Really you would have been better leaving a small gap between the base frame plate and the column plate then fitting some grub screws in the Coloumn base plate so you could set the coloumn true. This way you can fine tune the column with the rails etc fitted using proper setup tools like dail gauge's rather than cheap set squares which are just not accurate.

Then when it's all setup fill the gap with Epoxy metal putty, spray the coloumn plate with a release agent or tape the surface and you can still remove when needed. This process works very very well when you can't machine the surfaces.

Edit; Oh and the music on those Vids is annoying ASF...
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Really you would have been better leaving a small gap between the base frame plate and the column plate then fitting some grub screws in the Coloumn base plate so you could set the coloumn true. This way you can fine tune the column with the rails etc fitted using proper setup tools like dail gauge's rather than cheap set squares which are just not accurate.

Then when it's all setup fill the gap with Epoxy metal putty, spray the coloumn plate with a release agent or tape the surface and you can still remove when needed. This process works very very well when you can't machine the surfaces.

Edit; Oh and the music on those Vids is annoying ASF...
    Hi and thanks for the feedback.

Do you mean grub screws like the ones I can be seen installing at 11 minutes into the video?

The square is purely to help get the thing in the right ball park. Not much point having grub screws if the thing is so far out to begin with I run out of screw travel!

Oh and there's this function on computers and hand held devices called "mute". Some like the music, some don't. Can't please everyone I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by SeabassEngineering View Post
    Hi and thanks for the feedback.

Do you mean grub screws like the ones I can be seen installing at 11 minutes into the video?
    I didn't get that far, couldn't stand the music...But your right can't please everyone just like some have no taste in music...
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    I didn't get that far, couldn't stand the music...But your right can't please everyone just like some have no taste in music...
    *You're.

If it was down to personal taste I'd have put some Meshuggah in as background music. Unfortunately YouTube will instantly copyright claim you and take the video down.

Thread Information