Hi All,

Progress!

I have measured up and decided on following two people's methods to get to where I want to be.

I have decided to follow the same approach as Heavy Metal CNC's X3 conversion Z axis solution.

Doddy - I'm copying some of your work on your X2 conversion, using plates on the end and front of the saddle and will use equal size pulleys initially to get the steppers out of the way a bit but leave myself the option to use a reduction drive if required - any thoughts?

I will be using 1605 doublenut ball screws for X and Y and a custom machined 2005 on the Z.

I will machine out the existing Z ballnut aperture to suit the larger 2005 ball nut and use the existing top bearing and lower thrust bearings as they all seem to be in good condition. Just waiting on a quote from Fred so is there anything else I could do with considering while I'm at it? Otherwise relatively confident thus far.

I have taken delivery of lots of lovely aluminium bar and have my BOXZY mill to do the cutting work for me when I get to the next stage.