. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lives in Near Southampton, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 12-03-2021 Has been a member for 1-2 years. Has a total post count of 4. Received thanks 2 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by CNCMEBABY View Post

I will be using 1605 doublenut ball screws for X and Y and a custom machined 2005 on the Z.

Just bear in mind that you'll need to grind off any flanges, there's about 36mm of space, I've used 1605 ballscrews and the nut flanges were 40mm across. I ended up grinding 2mm off top/bottom on the Y axis and 4mm off the top on the X axis, centre height on X ended up at 21mm (22.5mm originally).

Also, check the length of your double ballnuts on the y axis: you can probably fit about 23cm of screw in there before it hits the column, so if your nut is 10cm long you'll restrict your travel to 13cm.
    Last edited by Mat; 10-03-2021 at 01:16 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mat View Post
    Also, check the length of your double ballnuts on the y axis: you can probably fit about 23cm of screw in there before it hits the column, so if your nut is 10cm long you'll restrict your travel to 13cm.
    THIS!, eyeball the axis broken down as a sanity check!

I don't remember grinding my nuts on the Y, but defo on the X.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    THIS!, eyeball the axis broken down as a sanity check!
    Been having a good measure up. With the saddle all the way back to the column there is 5mm of existing leadscrew nut covered up, this being the backlash adjusting part of the nut. This could be removed in the quest for the greatest X travel if required. Even without removing that 5mm of metal I reckon I can get 200mm of X travel including a nut on the end of the screw to prevent accidental over-travel. So plenty of travel for the 160mm table with a safety margin.

I might put a couple of belville washers in to preload the nut to account for any backlash a la Jonathan's micro lathe job here. This is due to me using the 1204 and there not being a double nut option. The bonus is I can get the nuts in just without having to grind them - the 1204 ball nut height at the flat of the flange is 30mm with the leadscrew nut coming in at 35mm. Just enough meat...

Quote Originally Posted by Mat View Post

I'm currently modelling a homebrew double nut 1204 solution:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x-1.png 
Views:	630 
Size:	217.6 KB 
ID:	29693
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x-2.png 
Views:	602 
Size:	209.0 KB 
ID:	29694

In theory the length will end up being 74-77mm so would need extra space on the Y.
    Having said the all above and read your plan for the antibacklash double 1204 nut, an easy double nut solution would appear to be to bore out the existing leadscrew nut as planned anyway for the first ball nut and mount another back to back with belvilles between to preload and use a couple of the mounting holes on the ballnut flanges between with one flange threaded and the other opened out slightly to use bolts to apply the preload. Then the space created by all that can be used to mount the stepper with the shaft facing out and on the left hand side of the saddle. I plan off-stands made from aluminium block for the spacing for the mounting plate off the front of the saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by CNCMEBABY View Post
    Been having a good measure up. With the saddle all the way back to the column there is 5mm of existing leadscrew nut covered up, this being the backlash adjusting part of the nut. This could be removed in the quest for the greatest X travel if required. Even without removing that 5mm of metal I reckon I can get 200mm of X travel including a nut on the end of the screw to prevent accidental over-travel. So plenty of travel for the 160mm table with a safety margin.
    Having said the all above and read your plan for the antibacklash double 1204 nut, an easy double nut solution would appear to be to bore out the existing leadscrew nut as planned anyway for the first ball nut and mount another back to back with belvilles between to preload and use a couple of the mounting holes on the ballnut flanges between with one flange threaded and the other opened out slightly to use bolts to apply the preload. Then the space created by all that can be used to mount the stepper with the shaft facing out and on the left hand side of the saddle. I plan off-stands made from aluminium block for the spacing for the mounting plate off the front of the saddle.
    I basically didn't like the amount of front overhang so wanted my saddle to move closer to the column.
    I cut my base slot a bit, made some new bolt holes instead of using the large central one on the carriage.
    Managed to get my saddle to move further back by 15mm. Overall I got 204mm movement from it with barely any extra overhang.

However. My throat is only 185mm but at least I don't need to hang off the front a mile. Later on I'll stick a 20mm spacer between the slide and head. Then I could use the whole 204mm.

This is on an Amat25lv similar to the Warco machine.

Thread Information