. .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    She's alive once again! Thanks guys i would never have figured out that 10v was an input on my own doh
    I still had the isolation board on mine so it only floated about 3v different to earth ground
    Thanks again

may have been a bit quick to celebrate then
    was working for about an hour until it tripped the RCD and now the spindle tries to spin up and trips the breaker in the back of the cabinet whenever its turned on, the relay that i thought was supposed to control the spindle enable doesn't seem to change much whether its there or not so i was probably wrong about that
    this is what i get for working on things when tired i suppose

Tripping the RCD - highly probable it's something in the spindle motor. If you can still find them - replace the spindle with a 240V 60W lamp and check that doesn't blow the RCD. If you was closer I could loan you a 180VDC spindle motor instead, but Nottingham is a bit far for that.

Daft question - when did you last "properly" run the spindle?

haven't properly run the spindle since playing around with the manual controls before taking out the old controller board so about 2 months ago
    i'll try find a lamp and try that

if you think its the motor do you think it would be worth taking out to take a look at and clean out? thinking about it it might have been my fault it started doing it as it only happened after taking off and putting the motor cover back on to see if there was anything that needed oiling like the ways do but i see there isn't

It's the next logical step. Or the first one, depending how cold your workshop is!

Clear out the spiders and clean up the commutator, de-grease and get rid of any carbon on the inner casement.

What better way of spending the new year!

The idea of testing with a bulb (or any other load) is to isolate the fault to the motor.

Will still try that when i can find a proper load for it but for now the motor seems fine, ran smooth without any problem on my bench supply. Still can't really figure out whats causing the motor controller to try move the spindle as soon as it gets power, i'm assuming thats what's tripping the breaker in the cabinet

Quote Originally Posted by Lahdiel View Post
    Will still try that when i can find a proper load for it but for now the motor seems fine, ran smooth without any problem on my bench supply. Still can't really figure out whats causing the motor controller to try move the spindle as soon as it gets power, i'm assuming thats what's tripping the breaker in the cabinet
    How's the Lenze "Controller Enable" input wired?

i tried changing that too, normally the two pins are just jumpered with a small wire, i tried putting them between a relay but still popped the stop circuit as soon as the machine was turned on, starting to suspect i killed the isolator board and its just stuck somewhere its trying to spool up as soon as its powered

Isolate the isolator board. Connect the +Ref on the Spindle board to the sense line to force full speed. Test. If pops then either spindle or Lenze. Proceed as earlier with incandescent lamp to verify if spindle, or not.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information