. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    been using the mill fine using my external bench supply for the spindle, tempted to just ditch the lenze and buy a cheap pwm 60v controller and be done with it since my psu can only do 32v
    is that a terrible idea

Not the best.

I'm surprised that the motor is only rated at 60V... whoops... a quick google confirms someone else with a VMC190 with a 60V spindle... so let's go with that.

Using a standalone PSU you've only isolated the supply to the spindle - in other words isolated the spindle from the RCD. You[ve not fixed anything, just avoiding the protection normally offered. Did you get around to cleaning the spindle motor?, or testing the Lenze?

(full disclosure: I did pretty much what you're suggesting - replacing a spindle motor and controller card when it was cheaper than replacing the OEM controller card - so call me a hypocrite)

i don't know if i mentioned it properly but it stopped popping the RCD and instead now just trips the breaker actually in the machine, i did take the motor out but its pretty much spotless and everything about it looks next to brand new
    still not tested the lenze with a different load yet
    just for reference if i did decide to do the same what motor did you end up replacing it with?

i don't know if i mentioned it properly but it stopped popping the RCD and instead now just trips the breaker actually in the machine.
    I think you probably did, but I've forgotten that bit. I can understand your thought process here.

just for reference if i did decide to do the same what motor did you end up replacing it with?
    Hah, no, that's a special case. I needed to replace a NEMA34 sized BLDC motor with something that would fit the same space envelope, and give me an easy spindle-speed control (the original Sieg SX BLDC had a very fragile controller card [blown it up twice] that only supported a "speed up" / "speed down" control). In the end I plumped for a Chinese AC servo which gives me a stupidly easy speed control (simple step/dir with electronic gearing).

That's not necessarily a solution for all, but it got me the power/control I wanted into the cast-iron spindle-head enclosure on my SX2.7. Not particularly cheap (£261.11 all-in)... compared to a replacement BLDC controller card (£247.48... fragile as F.. and no easy speed control).

gotcha, think i'll just look for another dc controller since whatever i try and do with the lenze the second it gets power it spins up the spindle and pops the breaker
    might try get it working some day but the headache it seems to cause isn't worth the time right now

Have a look at tread mills I bought one for £20 a few months ago fully working and local
    It’s got a DC controller and dc motor. Meant to be 2hp but that will be Chinese 2hp if you get my drift

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i'll keep that in mind for when i inevitably want a more powerful spindle
    that said my little motor has been cutting steel fairly well most of the day

I don’t find my vmc190 to be underpowered
    It’s a small machine and as such you can’t expect it to take massive cuts
    I’ve added flood cool to mine over Xmas and that makes a big difference

Cheers. Paul

i think i got a decent deal with mine, came with the factory mist system, though i probably will upgrade to a flood at some point if heat becomes an issue

I didn’t fancy breathing in the coolant fumes
    Not a fan of mist coolant systems to be honest

Paul

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information