. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by felicityhu View Post
    As far as I understand VAT is a Value Added Tax? I don't really want to pay taxes that will eventually go to the state. Do you think there may be a way to bypass the VAT payment, or is it really 100% mandatory for everyone?
    You don't have a choice, it's the law in UK and most other country's I would imagine that VAT is added unless it's in the None VAT category which is mostly health-related, certainly not machine tools or components. Often the shipping agent won't release the goods until the VAT and any customs charges are paid.

On smaller items, the VAT will be added at source ie: Aliexpress, eBay, etc and they pass on the VAT to the Revenue and Customs.

So it's just a case of bend over and take it I'm afraid.!
    -use common sense, if you lack it, there is no software to help that.

Email: [email protected]

Web site: www.jazzcnc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    This actully works to our advantage for goods over £18 and less than £135 as AliExpress acts as the VAT collection agent not Royal Mail, UPS DPD etc... Because they charge for the service at silly rates.
    It doesn't make any difference to an individual buyer.
    VAT and import tax are 2 different things.
    I've had one out of twenty items caught out this year.
    The one caught was my modbus cable and driver disc for a servo. Came via dhl.
    Paid the vat at Ali, then a tax on entry to dhl.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000185976627.html
    I weren't too bothered about it though as I did factor the cost in first. I saved a packed on the servo drive/motor system itself originally, so I could write it off. (yes I know. I should've remembered the cable etc when I ordered the drive!!!!).

All royal mail stuff get through so far.
    Last edited by dazp1976; 20-07-2021 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    You don't have a choice, it's the law in UK and most other country's I would imagine that VAT is added unless it's in the None VAT category which is mostly health-related, certainly not machine tools or components. Often the shipping agent won't release the goods until the VAT and any customs charges are paid.

On smaller items, the VAT will be added at source ie: Aliexpress, eBay, etc and they pass on the VAT to the Revenue and Customs.

So it's just a case of bend over and take it I'm afraid.!
    As long as the item still works out cheaper from Ali.... who cares!!
    Tbh. Most of the stuff we get for the kit we use is either:
    1. Not a chance it's available in the u.k.
    2. It costs a minimum of 4 times the price.

I've just ordered a specific 12 channel isolation board from Ali for direct connection to port 5 inputs on a uc300eth.
    Didn't even bother looking in uk.

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    It doesn't make any difference to an individual buyer.
    VAT and import tax are 2 different things.
    I believe my original beef was about the ridiculous fees that forwarding agents charge to handle any tax or VAT. Now the VAT on goods <£135 is collected at source and Fedex, UPS and DHL etc. no longer have this lucrative source of income. The disadvantage is that we no longer get away with tax free import of small items - Hey Ho!

I believe my original beef was about the ridiculous fees that forwarding agents charge to handle any tax or VAT. Now the VAT on goods <£135 is collected at source and Fedex, UPS and DHL etc. no longer have this lucrative source of income. The disadvantage is that we no longer get away with tax free import of small items - Hey Ho!
    I need to make an enquiry then.

Back in March.
    I ordered from Ali usd26.50 - paid the vat on top.
    Then a few days later got email link from dhl.
    Paid the import tax AND the con handling fee to them.

According to you this don't happen?.

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post

According to you this don't happen?.
    Unfortunately, the mechanism for it happening is still there for goods with an intrinsic value over £15 and less than £135. Most of the time HMRC can't be arsed with small values. As they automatically get the VAT for low value personal imports, they are generally satisfied with that. I think you were unlucky (maybe the Customs Officer had a row with his partner and was in a bad mood). I have had imports of $150 without any duty and also goods worth £8 that were subject to the DHL con (I didn't pay it and they returned the goods and I got a refund). Both of these were before the collection of VAT at source. Now, because the VAT is already paid, most small value goods are just let through. You are more likely to trigger DHL involvement if you go for fast delivery options.

Unfortunately, the mechanism for it happening is still there for goods with an intrinsic value over £15 and less than £135. Most of the time HMRC can't be arsed with small values. As they automatically get the VAT for low value personal imports, they are generally satisfied with that. I think you were unlucky (maybe the Customs Officer had a row with his partner and was in a bad mood). I have had imports of $150 without any duty and also goods worth £8 that were subject to the DHL con (I didn't pay it and they returned the goods and I got a refund). Both of these were before the collection of VAT at source. Now, because the VAT is already paid, most small value goods are just let through. You are more likely to trigger DHL involvement if you go for fast delivery options.
    I didn't have a choice on delivery options with that one.
    It's outlandish how we get ripped off in the uk tbf.
    It's all bollox!

Have another £80 worth of small bits arriving either this/next week. Fingers crossed
    Not too concerned though. Some not avail in uk at all (or ever will), and the bits I could get here... I've likely saved £70 off.
    Last edited by dazp1976; 21-07-2021 at 11:17 AM.

What makes me laugh are the idiots who pay 3 x more for something that's drop shipped from China and could get it same speed but cheaper direct from AliEx

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

About a week ago I ordered some parts from BST Automation on Ali Express at a cost of 96 USD. At the checkout this appeared as 115.20 USD (which is 96 x 1.2) so they have added the VAT.

It is a custom order so it's not due for shipping until this weekend/early next week so I'll report back what happens when it arrives.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

VAT is 20% now?! There are so many reasons I'm glad I left the UK. Soon as you can everybody, relocate to Tasmania. Western Australia is OK too. Victoria and New South Wales are too expensive and too crowded (though not compared to southern England!) and Queensland and the Northern Territory are too humid in summer.

Ducking hurriedly to avoid the flak,

Kit
    An optimist says the glass is half full, a pessimist says the glass is half empty, an engineer says you're using the wrong sized glass.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information