. .

Thread: my cnc

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    . If i tell it to jog on the z axsis 1mm and press run the spindle runs about 20mm but on the readout red screen it says it has run only 1mm so that reads correct but the spindle is wrong
    The DRO if set to 1mm will show only 1mm.
    Colin
    First please put use the correct terms I mean tell us what is the reading on the DRO when you said you have moved down 1mm have you noticed the minus sign so it really says -1mm this in important. Now I know that when the Z goes down it goes -ve.

When you ran the code and I am not familiar with GRBL I noticed when the Z when down and it was not -ve it said 9mm

Now the first thing we need to get right is the fact that your machine on the Z axis it is moving 10 times too much. This has to be corrected before you carry on.

Is there any settings that you can alter. Pleas post a pic of the settings page. Can you open the control box a post a pic of the drives?

Edit: see this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n2gEmHEaao look at about 2.4 mins in.

Can you post the list of settings?

As ZA sto has said Whatever you have in parameter $102, divide by 20 and write it back to the controller (arduino :)):
    $102=newly calculated value.
    Last edited by Clive S; 07-02-2021 at 12:20 PM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Hi iv'e been looking at that video link you sent me and it is very informative and helpfull so thank you for that. As far as the DRO is concerned if i set the depth of say 1mm on the DRO screen yes it doe's show the -1mm. Here is an image of the GCS in use with a Coke sign which i'm working on.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gcs test 1.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	29508G-CODE CNC BACKUP.txt This on is the setting of my cnc as followed per instructions of that tutorial video you showed me.
    I hope this helps , i'm not sure on all the termanoligybut ill get there.
    Thaqnk you freind Colin

Quote Originally Posted by SPIKE View Post
    Hi iv'e been looking at that video link you sent me and it is very informative and helpfull so thank you for that. As far as the DRO is concerned if i set the depth of say 1mm on the DRO screen yes it doe's show the -1mm. Here is an image of the GCS in use with a Coke sign which i'm working on.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gcs test 1.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	29508G-CODE CNC BACKUP.txt This on is the setting of my cnc as followed per instructions of that tutorial video you showed me.
    I hope this helps , i'm not sure on all the termanoligybut ill get there.
    Thaqnk you freind Colin
    Colin as I have said there is no point in trying to cut anything until the parameters are set correctly.

Now concentrate on the Z axis only .

Find a block of wood about 50mm thick put this on the table and Zero the Z on the top of it.

Then move the block out of the way and command the Z to go down 1mm the DRO should read -1

Then measure arcuately how far the Z travelled down from the top of the block and report back.

This is the line in your text file you posted that we will alter to get it right $102 = 1900.000 (Z-axis travel resolution, step/mm)
    ..Clive

OK, let's iron out some of your parameters.

If your stepper drivers are set to some amount of micro steps, you should set parameter $1 to 255, meaning that the motor(s) will never be disabled, except in E-Stop.
    That parameter mean that the stepper driver will be disabled after certain amount of time (in microseconds) after the last Step pulse was generated. When drivers are set to any micro stepping when disabled, motor will jump to the nearest full step, consequences: loosing position.

From the rest of the parameters, I can see that you do not have limit switches on your machine, so you are homing "in place".

From the photo of your machine it is obvious that you have a Chinese one, and our Chinese sellers are well known that the parameters for your machine could be all over the place.

hi clive i done what you asked I moved the Z Down 1mm on the DRO it read -1mm but the actual movement was 5mm on the first try then 4.44mm on the second try

Hi nice to meet you and thanks for stepping in. I've sent you an image of my cnc settings please let me know what is wrong with it.
    ColinG-CODE CNC BACKUP.txt i agree there so apart from getting a new one what is my best option .

Acceleration too high so you are loosing steps, that's why you have only 4.44mm travel on second try.
    As I wrote, you should calibrate your machine. Not only Steps Per, also Acceleration and Max Speed. All of these for each axis.

Hi nice to meet you and thanks for stepping in. I've sent you an image of my cnc settings please let me know what is wrong with it.
    ColinG-CODE CNC BACKUP.txt i agree there so apart from getting a new one what is my best option .

hi again yes i had a 4.44mm travel but the z axsis was set to only travel 1mm i agree with you i need to set all my perameters correctly clive sent me a video showing just how to do that.
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by SPIKE View Post
    hi again yes i had a 4.44mm travel but the z axsis was set to only travel 1mm i agree with you i need to set all my perameters correctly clive sent me a video showing just how to do that.
    Colin
    Colin check your PM
    ..Clive

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information